My setup broke, not sure what happened

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kistner
Newcomer
United States of America

My setup broke, not sure what happened

Post by kistner »

I'll warn - I am very unfamiliar with unbuntu/linux.

I set up a mythtv backend a while back, version 28 on ubuntu 16.04. It took me a while but it finally came together. I am (was) using kodi for the front end on several devices without issue (pc, phone, xbox). And then it stopped working. I seldom even look at the backend, maybe if the power goes out I make sure it gets turned back on. I can only guess when mythtv updated to 29 something changed. I did recently update to ubuntu 18.04 figuring if an update broke it, maybe I get lucky and an update will fix it. I know, wishful thinking.

I have gone through the setup a few times, comparing it to the notes on setting up a new one, everything looks right. I did rescan my channels (after it was broken) just in case, it found the all the same channels. It doesnt look like a setup issue, to me.

When I turn on kodi I get nothing, it doesnt show any channels, no guide, none of my recordings (they are still there if I look at the drive). If I point my browser to http://ip-of-my-backend:6544 I get 'this site cant be reached' and if I go to http://localhost:6544 on my backend machine I get the same. In simple terms it seems like mythtv is working or workable, but no one can see it? I do not get any errors when I go through setup. After it first 'broke' and I went through setup again I did get an error about the folders for the recordings. I have a 4tb external drive for those and for some reason the drive name changed, it added a '1' to the end. I fixed that. I only mention it because I found it odd that it changed the name.

any suggestions of what to try are greatly appreciated. I can get more info if it helps you help me, but I'll refer back to my prior warning of my low ubuntu iq.

Thanks
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: My setup broke, not sure what happened

Post by paulh »

Is the backend running? You can check by running in a terminal

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl status mythtv-backend
Is there any errors in the log?

journalctl -u mythtv-backend --since today
kistner
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by kistner »

well i guess it is not running

darryl@Lenovo:~$ sudo systemctl status mythtv-backend
[sudo] password for darryl: 
● mythtv-backend.service - MythTV Backend
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service; enabled; vendor p
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2018-12-16 10:07:02 EST; 2 weeks
     Docs: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbackend
 Main PID: 1887 (code=exited, status=130)

Dec 16 10:07:02 Lenovo systemd[1]: mythtv-backend.service: Service hold-off time
Dec 16 10:07:02 Lenovo systemd[1]: mythtv-backend.service: Scheduled restart job
Dec 16 10:07:02 Lenovo systemd[1]: Stopped MythTV Backend.
Dec 16 10:07:02 Lenovo systemd[1]: mythtv-backend.service: Start request repeate
Dec 16 10:07:02 Lenovo systemd[1]: mythtv-backend.service: Failed with result 'e
Dec 16 10:07:02 Lenovo systemd[1]: Failed to start MythTV Backend.
for the log it said no entry.

Sorry it took so long to look this up, holidays and all. I appreciate the help. And I am not sure if that was the right way to paste a copy of what the response to the status request.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Your backend is not running. I'd expect to see a line containing this:
"Failed to init MythContext" in your backend log
(usually in /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log.) Before that message,
I'd expect to see a reason for the failure. Please put a full log at
pastebin.com and put a link to that here if the above isn't helpful.

Your paste above is fine. I'd add: systemctl cat mythtv-backend too.
kistner
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by kistner »

systemctl cat mythtv-backend gives:
http://dpaste.com/3EHAG5Z

and the log - just the last day it registered something new, otherwise it is huge and goes back to April:
http://dpaste.com/05NGSE6

Thanks again
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Dec 16 10:06:09 Lenovo mythbackend: mythbackend[1887]: E CoreContext mythdbcon.cpp:242 (OpenDatabase) [DBManager0] Unable to connect to database!
Dec 16 10:06:09 Lenovo mythbackend: mythbackend[1887]: E CoreContext mythdbcon.cpp:243 (OpenDatabase) Driver error was [1/1045]:#012QMYSQL: Unable to connect#012Database error was:#012Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
Take a look at this Wiki: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Config.xml#Troubleshooting
and see if that helps. Note line 1061 in your paste tells you what config.xml is in
play (and it's the 'normal' /home/mythtv/.mythtv.)
kistner
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by kistner »

I will go through the trouble shooting steps noted in your link, I do want to learn more about ubuntu/linux. I am always fascinated by anything free. But the old man in me is wondering if I should just delete mythtv, reinstall and start from scratch?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Reinstalling MAY help, but it's no guarantee that the root cause of the failure will
go away. I don't do it for anything MythTV (or much else for that matter.)
kistner
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by kistner »

I was able to locate the two config files, and I made them the same - there was a slight difference. But I still cant get the backend to start. In looking at the log its error after error saying
Unable to connect to database!
and
Database error was:
Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I guess I am at a loss at to what is broken, where to look, and how to fix it.
Guessing something somewhere has either an incorrect user name or password stored? Does that sound right?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Eliminate MythTV from the picture by trying to access the DB
from the command line:

mysql --host=localhost --user=mythtv --password=yourPasswordFromConfig.xml mythconverg
Replace the password with the one found in config.xml. The rest are likely
the same as in that file. If that doesn't work, then the backend will fail too.
kistner
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by kistner »

Hey bill6502, I havent given up on this but I am reading up on linux before I proceed. I need a little better grasp of what it is I am doing before properly troubleshooting. I appreciate the help so far and I'll be back hopefully soon.