hdhrepg2myth - HDHomeRun Live TV Guide to MythTV

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
heyted
Senior
United States of America

hdhrepg2myth - HDHomeRun Live TV Guide to MythTV

Post by heyted »

Schedules Direct is a great option for guide data, but if you own an HDHomeRun Prime you may be interested in the program described below.

hdhrepg2myth
https://github.com/heyted/hdhrepg2myth

The purpose of this software is to provide an approximately four-hour guide when watching live TV using MythTV. You must own a compatible HDHomeRun device, and this program has been tested only with a HDHomeRun Prime with the program installed on Mythbuntu with MythTV 0.28.

Installation and usage
  • All channels should already be setup and usable in Mythfrontend.
  • Download the program by clicking on "release" in GitHub and selecting the latest release.
  • If the program has previously been installed and is running, stop the program before installing the new version.
  • Unzip the files to your home folder.
  • In your home folder, there must be the install file, hdhrepg2myth.cfg file, and the hdhrepg2myth folder. The install and hdhrepg2myth.cfg files must be in your home folder and not a subfolder.
  • Open a terminal and type "sudo ./install" without the quotes.
  • After installation, the install file and hdhrepg2myth folder can be deleted from the home folder.
  • Open hdhrepg2myth.cfg with a text editor, change the values as needed, and save the file. This file must remain in the home folder. Replace the underscores in the backend ip address with numbers. The port number will most likely not need to be changed, and it is recommended to keep the channel low value set to 2 or above.
  • Edit the xmltvid values in the channel information section of mythweb/settings to match channel values. For example, set the xmltvid values to 2, 3, 4, etc.
  • Start Mythfrontend, and go to "Setup", "System Event Handlers", "LiveTV started". Type "/opt/hdhrepg2myth/hdhrepg2myth.py" without the quotes.
Known issues
  • This program has not been tested with multiple HDHomeRun devices on the local network.
  • The backend status may report the benign message "mythfilldatabase ran but did not insert any new data into the Guide." This may be false due to the program not inserting any data that is after data that has previously been inserted.
  • The program first inserts data when live TV starts. Pressing "i" or "info" after tuning the first channel will, therefore, not show the epg info for what is on. Switching the channels or showing the guide will show the info.
Legal

This program is a modified version of the HDHomeRun Kodi add-on. It has been modified for the purpose described above. A copy of the GNU GPL license is included, and no warranty is expressed or implied. This program may be copied, distributed and/or modified in accordance with the included license. The license does not include the guide data. Refer to Silicondust (https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/index.php) for the conditions under which the guide data can be used.
Last edited by heyted on Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ted | My blog
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: hdhrepg2myth - HDHomeRun live TV guide to MythTV

Post by pgbennett »

This looks very interesting. A free alternative to schedules direct. It would be good if this was in the mythtv wiki. Could you add a page to the mythtv wiki? https://wiki.mythtv.org.
Let me know if you have difficulty with that.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Re: hdhrepg2myth - HDHomeRun live TV guide to MythTV

Post by heyted »

Ted | My blog
Gary Buhrmaster
Junior
United States of America

Re: hdhrepg2myth - HDHomeRun Live TV Guide to MythTV

Post by Gary Buhrmaster »

heyted wrote:Schedules Direct is a great option for guide data, but if you own an HDHomeRun Prime you may be interested in the program described below.
I just saw this post. All should be aware of the following SiliconDust T&C's.
Guide data and images:
Guide data and/or images may not be used outside of Silicondust software without written agreement.
Please contact info@silicondust.com if you would like to write a client app that works with the HDHomeRun DVR system and makes use of Silicondust guide data and/or images.
Images must not be archived or stored. Images may be cached following the cache duration and rules in the HTTP header.
Because of that license, I cannot see how this is at all useful for this project. And it screams "here is how you can violate the T&Cs", which, just like epg scrappers, do not seem to be appropriate for the lists/wiki.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

Some communication details are shown below. Others can decide if the due diligence actions that I have taken are adequate.

In addition to posting in the Silicondust forum, I sent an email to Silicondust regarding this subject prior to posting the program on GitHub. After posting the program on GitHub, I sent another email to Silicondust and copied the MythTV mailing list. I received a reply email saying the message would be sent to Nick's more direct email address, but the email did not provide an answer to my question. The quote shown below is from https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... 88&t=19230.
1.png
1.png (63.4 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
2.png
2.png (93.55 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
3.png
3.png (26.24 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
Ted | My blog
daraden
Senior
United States of America

Post by daraden »

The second email clearly states "Rule - no storing or archiving guide data or images.". after a quick look at your code It's clear you are violating this rule. unless i missed where you purge the data from the database every 1-2 hours.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

Lines 177 through 182 in hdhrepg2myth.py erases the guide data for all channels, and no images are stored.
Ted | My blog
daraden
Senior
United States of America

Post by daraden »

Guess I should have looked closer at the xml section. Though the reason i missed it is, you appear to be overwriting when running and not on exit?

I've never used the HDHomerun Kodi plugin, can it be used to schedule recordings with a non SiliconDust DVR?

I know your intent is to use this for live TV, but since the ability to record exists it can't and won't be ignored. Especially since SiliconDust is working on their own DVR software.

Until there is direct confirmation from SiliconDust that its ok to use the guide data with Mythtv. I have to agree with Gary that it shouldn't be on the wiki to avoid any possible legal issues.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

I updated the wiki to indicate hdhrepg2myth is compatible with MythTV v29.
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Unofficial_ ... ral_Addons
Ted | My blog