Conitinuity errors on specific satellite

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on linux
SixStrings
Newcomer
Netherlands

Conitinuity errors on specific satellite

Post by SixStrings »

In MythTV, when tuning into Astra-1 channels (19.2E) there's no problem.
Tuning into Astra-2 (28.2E) channels gives lots of transfer and continuity errors.
In both cases there is good quality signal.

I'v done a lot of things to pinpoint to the problem:

1. Windows/Mediaportal on same hardware: no problems, Astra-2 is as smooth as Astra-1
2. An old dedicated dvb-tuner: no problems, all Astra-2 channels are ok.
3. LibreElec/Kodi/TvHeadEnd: Astra-1 is ok, problems with all Astra-2 channels
4. MythTV: Astra-1 is ok, problems with all Astra-2 channels
5. I'v switched cables, switched LNB's, used a direct cable without switch, it all makes no difference. Whatever I do: Astra-1 is ok, Astra-2 gives errors.

A sort of conclusion is that it may have to do with Linux and probably the firmware/driver of my tv-card.
In combination with the fact that maybe the signal of Astra-2 is somehow different from Astra-1 ?? because the Linux-driver can handle the Astra-1 signal with no problem.

This is really strange.
Has anyone insight in this sort of behaviour? What could be the problem?

Before I go to the shop and buy a new TV-card, I would be happy if I had some confidence in not bumping into the same problem with a new card as well.

Thanks.

My configuration:
Xubuntu 18.04
MythTV 29.1 + fixes
TV-card: KNC-one TvStation dvb-s (budget-AV SAA7146)
Diseqc2x1
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: Conitinuity errors on specific satellite

Post by wesnewell »

I don't do sats, so this is just a wag. Line of site obstructions?
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
SixStrings
Newcomer
Netherlands

Post by SixStrings »

No obstructions.
As I mentioned the signal is very good on both satellites. And Windows/Mediaportal have no problem receiving and displaying the astra-2 signal.

I wondered if maybe the display-driver could be a cause. It's Nvidia-hardware with the nouveau-driver (it crashes on the propriety-version that's offered in Ubuntu 18). I could try to install an older version of the Nvidia-driver.
SixStrings
Newcomer
Netherlands

Post by SixStrings »

I sort of solved the problem by switching to a different motherboard with different onboard-graphic-adapter.
Away with NVidia Geforce 8200 and on to AMD/Ati Radeon HD4290
And that makes a big difference but Astra2 still looks a little bit choppy, maybe some tweaking wil help
The cause of the choppyness/stuttering: live-tv buffer is 0%, when paused the buffer is filled to 99% and the stuttering is gone
I hope there is an automated way to pause a little by channel switching if I can't find or change the bottleneck in my system.