Previously Recorded - not recovering Disk space

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tonyr63
Junior
Ireland

Previously Recorded - not recovering Disk space

Post by Tonyr63 »

Hi

I accidently ran out of disk space on my mythtv installation and went to manage recordings to delete 20% of what was there. I also stopped all scheduled recording planing to seek out additional disk capacity to remedy the situation.

Having deleted the recording from Previously Recorded list I was dismayed to find on re-running disk analyser I had not recovered any space. Later my system got into further trouble forcing me to delete a load of files from the recorded folder in the file explorer meaning I was deleting items on the blind. This did immediately recover disk space.

Why did gracefully removing recording from the Previously Recorded list not relieve my disk space problem?

What should I have done to better recover from such situations?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Previously Recorded - not recovering Disk space

Post by paulh »

wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Tonyr63 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:09 am
Why did gracefully removing recording from the Previously Recorded list not relieve my disk space problem?

What should I have done to better recover from such situations?
The Previous recorded list does NOT delete the recording. It only deletes the previously recorded flag from the database so it can record again. You should have deleted the recordings from the Watch recordings menu by hitting the D key. Which yo should now do.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
Tonyr63
Junior
Ireland

Post by Tonyr63 »

Hello Wesnewell

Thanks for you assistance and advice, most appreciated.

The interface of the previously recorded list certainly implies actual recording deletion not just database flag removal. Perhaps it would be a good UI addition for notice to be provided that this actually does NOT remove the recording file in the confirm option box presented.

Your information has confirmed the behaviour I observed and will help me manage better in future.
Is there any way to do multi recordings selection negating the need to select one by one?

Many Thanks
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Post by wesnewell »

Tonyr63 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:17 pm
Is there any way to do multi recordings selection negating the need to select one by one?
Not that I'm aware of. They may be easier to delete using mythweb if you want to delete a lot at once.
http://localhost/mythweb/tv/recorded
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
Tonyr63
Junior
Ireland

Post by Tonyr63 »

Hello

Thanks again for your assistance and advice.

I don't seem to have MythWeb installed although I never refused it so I don't know why it is not there or perhaps I still need to enable it.

I get connection refused from http://10.1.1.32/mythweb/tv/recorded.
The root of 10.1.1.32 gives me MythTv page - Last 10 recordings / Current Tuner Activity / FrontEnd Status.
Is this the new interface to MythWeb?

I notice that user name and password that I can use to directly log on to the backend Linux machine is not accepted when I try to connect from a windows of Mac computer or also through the utilities section of this MythTv web page. What format should I use for this log on and why the name I use on the box directly is not accepted here?

I tried to use the actual MythTv user name and its password and still it is not accepted.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

The new(er) WebFrontend sounds like what you're seeing, but it lives on
port 6544. It's login/password is admin/mythtv.
Tonyr63
Junior
Ireland

Post by Tonyr63 »

Sorry but the nither the Ubuntu admin password not the Mythtv password work but I know these passwords are good as I can used them directly on the PC running Mythtv.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,

OK, since the URL above is clearly getting mythweb, maybe you set a password on
it. Your configuration may be different. For example mine looks like this:

Code: Select all

$ grep digest /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/*
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mythweb.conf:        AuthUserFile       /etc/mythtv/mythweb-htdigest

$ ls -l /etc/mythtv/mythweb-htdigest
-rw-r----- 1 mythtv www-data 54 Sep  3  2017 /etc/mythtv/mythweb-htdigest
I don't believe the password can be unencrypted, you'd have to create a new one.
The username and password aren't tied to MythTV/SQL/Linux and could easily
be different from others. See: man htdigest to change it.
Tonyr63
Junior
Ireland

Post by Tonyr63 »

As a matter of strict policy and to avoid such problems I always use the same password. I did not install Mythweb separately or explicitly and set nothing up in apache. I just installed the full mythtv package and created accounts as prompted alway using he same credentials as was used for the ubuntu installations. To perhaps break out the problem into sub components may I first ask why I am experiencing the following.

From a windows 10 machine I can RDP and VNC to the Mythtv box using a user account from the Myth Ubuntu 16.04 that has admin rights and on connection I can do anything I need to be able to do on this Ubuntu machine. However from the same Win10 machine in file explored I see Shares on exposed by the Ubuntu MythTv box - Documents & Public. When I try to access them I am challenged for a user name and password so I provide the same user name and password that work directly on the Myth machine or when I RDP/vnc to it but fails all the time.

Before I dig into the SQL / webserver permissions I would like to know how I have this security failure on the same subnet when I know 100% I am providing the correct user name and password.

Checking etc/apache2/ I have no sites-enabled folder, just config-available.
Checking /Var/ I have no WWW folder.

I last setup MythWeb in 2013 and I vaguly remember having to do specific Apache2 configuration to enable it all to work with Dynamic DNS writing a httpd.conf file and I had a mythweb.conf file in sites available. Note earlier in the post I have advised that I don't think I have mythweb installed as I never explicitly installed it and did not setup Apache to support it. It came into question when i asked for a better way of deleting unwanted recordings cleanly so they free up disk space.

Why can I not connect to the mythtv computer shares Documents and Public?
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Hmmm, I'm getting confused. The original question about recovering disk space
appears to be solved.

The 2nd question, that I've been trying to answer, is about mythweb access. I understand
your strict policy about user/password choices. Since you're using Ubuntu and mention that
"I did not install Mythweb separately...", I wouldn't expect mythweb to work because it is a
separate package.

A third question is about accessing shares. MythTV shouldn't be involved (if I'm understanding
the question.) Of course you're welcome to ask questions like that here, but I'd suggest a new
topic. A new Subject may also get more eyes on your concern.
Tonyr63
Junior
Ireland

Post by Tonyr63 »

Hi
Thanks for the update, Iwill linstal mythweb and see how I go.