Premium TV with HDHomerun tuners

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Re: Premium TV with HDHomerun tuners

Post by yawlhoo »

It's possible that one could do this in the mythtv-setup interface, but as mentioned above, I am seeing this in a forwarded X session, and some things seem missing. But I start with that and "add a capture card," declare it an external tuner and (the way I have it setup) declare the path to mythhdhrrecorder as /home/mythtv/bin. (This directory is user/group mythtv and the downloaded program file mythhdhrrecorder is executable.)

To have multiple tuners you add the arg "--devicename 0" or 1, 2, 3. Then you save the capture card.

Next I switched to the command line and used the grabber configuration detailed at:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#MythTV_Setup

i.e.,

tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/External.xmltv

The document above says:

Replace SD with the name of the source you had set up in MythTV Setup.

Enter your Schedules Direct user and password when prompted.
Select option 4 Initialize/update the local database.
Accept the default database name.
Accept the password hash question.
Add or delete lineups using the prompts.

In the config dialog here (I think), I chose the HDHomerun Premium TV lineup (West). Then the document above says:

Do not go into channel selection yet. Run this:

tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
Supply the database name you selected above.
Accept defaults for the prompted questions.
Run these:

tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --days 0 --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv

(where SD=External) and follow the further steps of the documentation. (You'll get very familar with this, you'll do it so many damned times!)

then I think all you've got left to do is connect the source lineup with the capture card.

The next step I had to do is not covered in the documentation (?) I had to manually edit the "channum". I found these numbers using the "Channel Lineup" in the interface revealed when you browse to the IP address of the HDHomerun tuner. For example, MSNBC HD (MNBCHD) is channum 1113.

One should be able to enter these into the appropriate field of MythWeb, but whenever I did this and tried to save the result, it didn't work.

Instead I went into a mysql command line session on the backend and manually updated the mythconverg database, for example:

mysql> update channel set channum='1466' where callsign='EPHD';

There is probably a better way to do this.

After that, everything seemed to work pretty well.

Good luck!
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

I have been further testing my setup. I find I can record 4 simultaneous shows (all streamed from Silicon Dust.) On viewing the recordings look OK (uniformly 720p resolution at best), but after the end of the recording they are always marked with a yellow dot in the frontend listings, as well as marked "damaged" in MythWeb.

Looking at the logs I see many lines like:
-----
(ProcessAVTSPacket) DTVRec[10]: A/V PID 0x100 discontinuity detected ((3+1)%16!=15) 0.01%

then:

(FinishedRecording) TVRec[11]: FinishedRecording(2027_2018-09-05T15:33:00Z) damaged recq:<RecordingQuality overall_score="0.9" key="2027_2018-09-05T15:33:00Z" countinuity_error_count="240" packet_count="1879011" />

Updating status for "The Magicians":"Heroes and Morons" on cardid [11] (Recording => Recorder Failed)
----
Googling these errors not much is found, but it seems some success may be found in re-tuning the Linux kernel. I haven't tried anything like this.

It's not clear to me the source of these errors, whether the stream that is being recorded contains defects, or the recording system has a problem, for example keeping up with the recording.
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

I posted about this problem in the Silicon Dust (SD) Premium TV forum, and SD did something to fix it from their end.

Subsequently I recorded a test set of 4 simultaneous shows and the results were far better, only one show was marked damaged by MythTV.
ibedonc
Junior
United States of America

Post by ibedonc »

yawlhoo wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:51 pm
So, I reported the above problem to Schedules Direct and they apparently fixed it. I don't know whether it was their fix or further fiddling with the XMLTV schedules fetch, but I finally got the schedule updates sorted.

However recordings continued to fail.

I found that the "channum" of these new channels was blank. Working between the output from Silicon Dust's tuner output and mysql database editing I was able to insert the correct channum values. Then I was able to record a channel!

Lookin' good!
so what is the correct format of the channum ?
can you tell us how you got this to work
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

I got a listing of the Premium TV channels by going to http://<i.p. of tuner>, a screenshot is attached of the "Channel Lineup," showing the premium channels.

There is no doubt a way to enter this info into the backend MythTV database using some gui tool, but I just did it by hand in a mysql command line session, for example:

mysql> update channel set channum='1466' where callsign='EPHD';

Hope this helps.
Attachments
lineup.png
lineup.png (128.26 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
ibedonc
Junior
United States of America

Post by ibedonc »

I have this working now , but yes it has problems , not with SiliconD's side , but Schedules direct , the callsigns do not match and like you said no channel numbers
yawlhoo
Senior
United States of America

Post by yawlhoo »

I attach a screenshot of the "Channel Info" screen of MythWeb. I got the channel numbers into the backend database via a mysql session, but it might also be possible to directly edit the information in this interface. (Maybe because of the way I connect I find that I can fill in information in fields here, but I cannot save it.)

As far as I recall the "callsign" and "name" columns are already filled in by a Schedules Direct mythfilldatabase, it's just necessary to get the "channum" column set up, some 50 or so values.
Attachments
lineup-mythweb.png
lineup-mythweb.png (188.69 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
ibedonc
Junior
United States of America

Post by ibedonc »

how you had trouble with it not tuning to the correct channel on starting livetv or a recording mine seems to like fox news
ibedonc
Junior
United States of America

Post by ibedonc »

mythbackend[2207]: E ExternSH recorders/dtvsignalmonitor.cpp:323 (HandlePAT) DTVSigMon[15](/usr/bin/mythhdhrrecorder --hdhr 1074002F --devicename 0): Program #0 not found in PAT!#012Program Association Section#012 PSIP tableID(0x0) length(13) extension(0x58)#012 version(1) current(1) section(0) last_section(0)#012 tsid(88) programCount(1)#012 program number 1 has PID 0x1c00
Sep 30 10:22:54 myth-be-01b mythbackend: mythbackend[2207]: E ExternSH recorders/dtvsignalmonitor.cpp:329 (HandlePAT) DTVSigMon[15](/usr/bin/mythhdhrrecorder --hdhr 1074002F --devicename 0): But there is only one program in the PAT, so we'll just use it
Sep 30 10:22:54 myth-be-01b mythbackend: mythbackend[2207]: E TVRecEvent recorders/recorderbase.cpp:232 (SetStrOption) RecBase[15](/usr/bin/mythhdhrrecorder --hdhr 1074002F --devicename 0): SetStrOption(...recordingtype): Option not in profile.
Sep 30 10:22:54 myth-be-01b mythbackend: mythbackend[2207]: E TVRecEvent recorders/recorderbase.cpp:222 (SetIntOption) RecBase[15](/usr/bin/mythhdhrrecorder --hdhr 1074002F --devicename 0): SetIntOption(...recordmpts): Option not in profile.

are you seeing these ? do you know were I can set them ?
ibedonc
Junior
United States of America

Post by ibedonc »

I fixed my tuning problem , my error , but I still get the option errors
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

Have you tried the instructions located at https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/619977?
Last edited by heyted on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ted | My blog
imntreal
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by imntreal »

So, I've followed the instructions in the PDF that was provided to the mailing list, and that got me to the point where I could see the channels, and watch live, but for some reason as soon as I try to schedule something, mythbackend segfaults. I'm not really sure what's causing it. I'm trying to shoehorn this setup in with an existing HDHR Prime CC setup which I'm hoping to remove once I can get premium + OTA working.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

Which HDHomeRun tuner are you trying this with? Have you tried scheduling something from OTA? Does the segfault occur with OTA?
Ted | My blog
imntreal
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by imntreal »

The new tuner is a Quatro. If I try to add any recording rules mythbackend segfaults, including OTA channels. If I remove the HDHR Prime source from my input connections, I can have all of the recording rules I want. Also, I don't have any issues watching live TV via the Quatro.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

I wish I could help, but that is a bit beyond me. Maybe someone else can help, or try posting in the SiliconDust forums. There are some MythTV users on there.
Ted | My blog