[Solved]Losing db details on reboot

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

peteh
Junior
Great Britain

[Solved]Losing db details on reboot

Post by peteh »

I have used opensuse tumbleweed for several years along with mythtv. I recently upgraded to myth-29 from source and now I seem to lose database details each time I log in. It's not my main system so I don't boot it frequently but this ha just started to happen the last 3 or 4 times. The main problem seems to be losing the capturecard each time, but usually means resetting that and the channel scan and storage directories.
Anyone got any thoughts?
Last edited by peteh on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pete
fraserspur
Newcomer
Australia

Re: Losing db details on reboot

Post by fraserspur »

Check that the old upstart method of starting the backend isn't trying to initialise, check in /etc/init.d for a file mythtv-backend, if it is still there remove or rename it. That's what caused similar problems when I upgraded to 0.29.
peteh
Junior
Great Britain

Post by peteh »

Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately that's not the answer. The init.d is empty. I don't think opensuse have used it for some time now.
Pete
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

Hi,

It's not clear how you're detecting the missing data. Does the backend fail to start with DB
errors, or is it the frontend or mythtv-setup.

In all cases, I'd suggest looking in the respective log files for clues. Usually /var/log/mythtv/...

If only some tables appear to be missing, then I wouldn't suspect that the backend is starting
before mysql is, but that could be a cause.

If init.d and Upstart aren't used, that suggests that systemd is in play.
peteh
Junior
Great Britain

Post by peteh »

If I open mythfrontend and choose 'Watch TV' I get 'all tuners busy' message. So I start mythtv-setup and check. That's when i see the missing data. I reset everything and it works till the next time.
I've checked mythconverg tables and I've got about 3 lots of channel scans, so they're still there but not picked up by the new capture card, when the previous card details have disappeared.
I haven't checked the logs because I've never been able to find them and I've never really had a desperate need for them in the past. I'll probably do a search.
I probably don't know enough but I thought it might be a mix up with localhost because in some of the tables I see the actual name and in others I see 'localhost'. I've always just stuck to 'localhost' in setting things up.
Pete
peteh
Junior
Great Britain

Post by peteh »

Hi bill6502, I think you're right again. I've just rechecked myth on tumbleweed but I just closed frontend and restarted it. Everything was working on the restart so it looks as though you've got it.
Thanks yet again.
Pete