MythMusic CD information - Freedb

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nbdwt73
Newcomer
United States of America

MythMusic CD information - Freedb

Post by nbdwt73 »

I am getting some VERY strange data from (I believe) the freedb lookup on a cd scan. I have to say that I don't rip cd's much anymore so am not sure where to really look for a solution. Whenever I scan certain audio cd's (Optical Disks/ Import CD) the results are frequently completely bogus - but some cd's work fine. I can rip those cd's fine on my Ubuntu K3b and get proper results. I have read that it may be an issue with the freedb database. Is there a way to change the music info search to point to a different service (like Musicbrainz)?
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: MythMusic CD information - Freedb

Post by paulh »

We do already use the Musicbrainz mirror for the cddb database which uses their own database. The problem is the way the lookup works doesn't always return one single result but there may be several completely unrelated cd's returned. We currently assume the first result is the correct one which as you have found isn't always the case. The problem is further compounded by the fact Musicbrainz refuse to use genre tags, although that may have changed now, which help to find the correct CD.

I did start adding better Musicbrainz support that would have used their DB and the finger prints to better located the correct CD and add other features like coverart lookup, related artists, albums etc but since the future of the plugins and the frontend is uncertain the work was stopped.
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Post by mythbuntubox »

Thanks for providing additional details on this, Paul. However, this has me quite worried:

"...the future of the plugins and the frontend is uncertain..."

I like the MythTV frontend and use quite a few plugins, so it's sad to hear that the future may be uncertain for these. Where can I read more about what the future may hold for these, or do you perhaps have a few hints about what lies ahead? Thanks in advance.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

Nothing was ever decided but the thinking was given the lack of developers and developer time it would be better to concentrate on what Myth is good at and that is schedule and record TV so work on improving mythbackend and also improve the services API and allow third party projects like Kodi to provide the flashy looking frontend interfaces.

What ever happens most of the plugins are unmaintained and are badly in need of updating so it's very likely some or all of them will be removed at some stage.

The work on the native Android FE may change things if it can be made to work in a reasonable fashion with the current FE but MythUI is quite old and most people want a more modern look and feel that MythUI can't really provide without a lot of work.

The upcoming Ubuntu LTS release will have 29.1 so that will be good for a few years :) it's only 30.0 and beyond that may see some changes.
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Post by mythbuntubox »

Thank you very much, Paul.

I guess I will have to adopt a "hoping for the best but fearing the worst" attitude, as it would be sad to lose many of the "mythical convergence" aspects of the project that gave it its name. For me it is far less about "flashy" and far more about functions offered, many of which could get lost if the traditional FE is abandoned entirely at some stage. For example, live TV does not seem to be supported in the Android client, and Kodi also offers less functionality than the traditional FE does at the moment.

However, I appreciate that the look of the FE is important to people and that you have to use developer time efficiently. Thank you to all the developers for what they have done to get the project where it is now and also going forward. I'm grateful to have been able to reap the fruit of your labour so far and hope to be able to do so in the future too. I'm sure that goes for other users too.