Mytharchive DVD menu font settings

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Mytharchive DVD menu font settings

Post by mythbuntubox »

Maybe someone can point me in the direction towards rectifying a problem I am encountering with the font size in the DVD menu of mytharchive after a DVD is burned. The DVD is created correctly using "Compact" under version 28, except that the font in the title selection menu is cut in half. It could be fixed in two ways as far as I can see: a) set a smaller font size; b) increase line spacing. Is there an easy way to do either? I'm not aware of a place to find this in the GUI settings.

Thanks in advance.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Mytharchive DVD menu font settings

Post by paulh »

Have a look in /usr/share/mythtv/mytharchive/themes/Compact/theme.xml

You should be able to change the font sizes and/or the position and size of the text boxes
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Post by mythbuntubox »

Thanks, Paul. I'll give that a try.
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Post by mythbuntubox »

Well, I can resize and change the font and text boxes there, but unfortunately, the font is still cut in half in the DVD selection menu, just in a bigger box. I also tried inline CSS for the line height:

style="line-height: <pt size>"

with the pt size set larger than the font size used. However, although this causes no errors in the log, it also does not seem to get used. I guess it may just be something used by web browsers in combination with xml.

If anyone has any other tips for what else to try, I would appreciate it.
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Post by mythbuntubox »

Just an update in case someone else finds they have the same or similar problems:

Using the VOB file/s produced by Mytharchive during DVD creation in DVD Styler produces quite a good result. After dragging a VOB into a DVD project file in DVD Styler in the File Browser tab, double-click the file and select not to remultiplex/transcode. A bit of a hassle, but at least everything is readable this way and a selection of menu styles is available. The creation process also runs quite quickly this way in DVD Styler. Maybe someone can create a MythTV menu theme, so the MythTV advertising effect does not get lost in the process :-)
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

I assume your using DVB-T recordings for saving to DVD. Are the subtitles kept using this method?
Don't forget the Wiki.
mythbuntubox
Senior
Great Britain

Post by mythbuntubox »

Steve, I have tried this out for you with a recording that definitely has subtitles/closed captioning, as I am not personally worried about subtitles/closed captioning. Playing the VOB file from Mytharchive in VLC already did not show any subtitles/closed captioning available, and using the MythTV > Archive Utilities > Play Created DVD also does not show any subtitles/closed captioning being available, so there already seems to be a problem before even starting DVD Styler. From what I could find in fairly old threads on the subject, this seems to be quite tricky and requires all sorts of other things to be installed to get it to work. If you find a way, please let us know. Might be useful!

Yes, these are DVB-T recordings in my case.

Status 7 years ago:

"MythArchive? doesn't support closed captions."

https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9377

Maybe there have been further developments since then, and subtitles were apparently Teletext and could be made to work at one stage with a lot of effort.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Post by Steve Goodey »

OK, thanks very much for trying that. I know with 0.27, archive to DVD, subtitles worked as long as Projectx was used. However on V29 mytharchive sems to crash with an error in projectx. But I'll raise this on another topic.
Don't forget the Wiki.