Wiki pages for Mac OSX

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Wiki pages for Mac OSX

Post by sfatula »

I'd like to take on updating or creating pages for Mac OSX similar to this page:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_on_Mac_OS_X

However, that information is way out of date. I would think that simply replacing it with more current info might not be good as old information might be lost. I can imagine trying to mix new and old, but likely too confusing. Perhaps, I could create a page for similar info but starting with mythtv .29. Maybe the existing page would simply start with a link to the new page when done.

Any thoughts on what might be the best way to do this?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: Wiki pages for Mac OSX

Post by pvr4me »

It is a wiki -- sign up and start contributing. (Due to spam, wiki signups have been shut down from time to time. Ask for help on the main forumn and an administrator will get you an account.)

If you check the page history, you'll see that quite a few of us have tweaked it over time. I don't think that anyone disagrees that it needs major work. It would be fine to focus on v29 and v0.28 since those are the versions supported by the project.

I would strongly suggest NOT starting a new page. We already have too many contradictory pages related to Myth on Mac:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:MacOS

Keep in mind that there are likely to be two groups of users. Those that run both frontend and backend on their Mac and then others that want to use a Mac frontend to access their backend (which is running on Linux). Personally, I think that MacPorts is a far superior platform for the former case. The bundled frontend is superior for the latter.

BTW, one of the past complications has been people wanting to run ancient OS versions. I need to check again, but I think QT now requires a fairly recent OS X (like 10.9 or newer). If we were going to have a new page, maybe we should have "Myth on Obsolete Macs" and move all the old crap in there!

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Maybe the myth on obsolete Macs can move to a new page then, and, the new stuff would be on the current page as it will be much more relevant. What I would do is create a new page just for the purposes of forming it and reviewing it, add any comments others I solicit feedback from may have, and then put where it belongs?

Not planning on Macports page updates, that I would leave to you or someone else.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

sfatula wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:32 pm
Maybe the myth on obsolete Macs can move to a new page then, and, the new stuff would be on the current page as it will be much more relevant. What I would do is create a new page just for the purposes of forming it and reviewing it, add any comments others I solicit feedback from may have, and then put where it belongs?
A wiki page tends to live forever -- the content in a page can change regularly. Just edit the existing page for up-to-date information. Don't create pages of old information unless you know for sure that somebody needs it.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.