update broke mythtv - old tricks didnt work

Have a MythTV related problem? Ask for help from other MythTV users here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dixonstalbert
Newcomer
Canada

update broke mythtv - old tricks didnt work

Post by dixonstalbert »

Hello.
I have tried to run myth on ubuntu 16.04 with hdpvr 1212 and ir-blaster. for the last 2 years

about 1/2 of the software updates break my system, (I installed the 0.29 ppa) but I have been able to get it working again by these tricks:

trick 1:
1. stop mythfrontend
2. sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend.service
3. sudo systemctl start mythtv-backend.service
4. mythfrontend

trick 2. adjust 'sleep' timings in my channel change script
my last working channel change script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
 REMOTE_NAME=blaster
 DEVICE=/dev/lircd
 SLEEP_TIME="0.4"
 STB=0_85
 send () {
   irsend --device=${DEVICE} SEND_ONCE ${REMOTE_NAME} ${STB}_${1}
   sleep ${SLEEP_TIME}
 }
 for DIGIT in $(echo ${1} | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
   send KEY_${DIGIT}
 done
  sleep 2
 exec "/bin/true"
trick 3
restore database with mythconverg script to a time before the breaking update

trick 4
replace my channel change script with /usr/bin/true - this worked one time and I could at least watch tv but of course couldnt change channels
problem was fixed when a new update was released a few days later

trick 5
delete all my tuner cards in mythtv-setup and then re-add them

I have tried all my tricks since Nov 29 update but I cannot watch tv or record with myth. I can access and watch old recordings in myth, but if I try to watch 'live' tv the start light on my hauppuage hdpvr box does not come on and i get a timeout message. I can watch tv using cat /dev/video0 | mpv and I can change channels with the above script at the command line, just no mythtv.

Anybody know some new tricks?
Is the usual procedure once a mythtv version works is too 'freeze' it in apt and not allow updates?
dixonstalbert
Newcomer
Canada

Re: update broke mythtv - old tricks didnt work

Post by dixonstalbert »

my solution was to restore last weeks automatic backup of system (yay tar and cron!) and I am back in business. I went into synaptic package manager and locked all installed packages that came from Nov15 version of mythtv. we will see if running with a locked version keeps my mythtv out of trouble!
stuarta
Developer
Great Britain

Post by stuarta »

You didn't actually say what the problem was when it "broke"?
dixonstalbert
Newcomer
Canada

Post by dixonstalbert »

Hi stuarta
I cannot watch tv or record with myth. I can access and watch old recordings in myth, but if I try to watch 'live' tv the start light on my hauppuage hdpvr box does not come on and i get a timeout message. I can watch tv using cat /dev/video0 | mpv and I can change channels with the above script at the command line, just no mythtv.
both the mythfrontend and backend logs contain no error messages, other than the timeout message "failed to get channel lock" if I let it timeout. ( I believe I increased timeout time in myth-setup to 15000 msec but that didnt help)

It is now about 4 days since I did full system restore and locked all myth packages to Nov 15 version - no problems so far!