More current build instructions?

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
dutchhome
Newcomer
United States of America

More current build instructions?

Post by dutchhome »

My MythTV backend is running on Arch and I've been able to get by with the fixes-29 build that was posted here in the forums. As expected, Arch finally upgraded to a new database version and I'm stuck deciding to either install Arch on my Mac Mini's or learn to build the OSX frontend from source. I've looked at the official instructions and everything is pretty outdated. Is there anything more current? Can someone give me the rough outline of an appropriate build environment?

I started somewhat brave setting up a new Sierra VM, installing Xcode, and running the build script from packaging/OSX/build. I quickly ran into weird missing symbol error that led me to trying the same process from High Sierra. It didn't have that symbol error, but it has plenty of others. Considering the Qt 5 problems with High Sierra, I'm pretty sure I will not be able to get it to compile and run.

I've heard a couple people mention building on Sierra and using Qt 5.5, so I think I should be able to manage on a somewhat recent OSX version.

Thanks in advance!
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: More current build instructions?

Post by pvr4me »

Stay away from High Sierra, if you can. It is not a supported platform for Qt and there are non-trivial usability problems with MythTV on that OS.

The official packaging script hasn't had much love in the past few years. I think it would take considerable effort to get it into a working condition.

I'm a bit behind with MacPorts, as well. Fixes/0.28 is quite up to date but I believe you want Fixes/29. I haven't yet pushed version 29 to MacPorts as I was dithering about what versions of Qt, MariaDB, PHP, and Apache to package with it. I'd mostly settled those questions but then got sidetracked by the High Sierra debacle. OTOH, I'm pretty much ready to commit version 29 to MacPorts which should make it pretty easy for you to build locally once I've done that.

Creating another all-in-one installer will take me more time so I wouldn't expect it until some time in the new year.

HTH,

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
dutchhome
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dutchhome »

Thanks Craig. I'll set up an Arch frontend temporarily until things settle down.

Once we have a stable v29 build script, would it help if I set up a daily build environment at home? Up until now I've just used MythBuntu as the backend and was happy running older frontends on the Mac. Now that I've signed up for riding the wave of updates from Arch I'll likely be building these often. Plus I now have an "spare" Mac Mini running ESXi server so it is easy for me to set something up and let it run. I'm assuming we can set up some place I can publish the builds. I don't mind dedicating some cpu cycles but I can't host files.
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Post by Gribnif »

pvr4me wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:48 am
Stay away from High Sierra, if you can. It is not a supported platform for Qt and there are non-trivial usability problems with MythTV on that OS.
I'm using a version of 0.28 that I compiled while still on Sierra, now with High Sierra, and see no problems. Or are the problems due to 29 using a newer Qt?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Gribnif wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:27 pm
I'm using a version of 0.28 that I compiled while still on Sierra, now with High Sierra, and see no problems. Or are the problems due to 29 using a newer Qt?
Good question. There are too many combinations for me to test exhaustively. I did see problems with both 0.28 and 29 on High Sierra but I think both were built against Qt 5.9.2.

Craig
dutchhome
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dutchhome »

I'm not happy with Arch running the FE on the mac mini. It has plenty of power but I'm having audio and video problems (nothing severe, I just think osx is nicer and more fluid). So that brings me back to compiling MythTV v29.

It seems compiling is a bit of a moving target. Is there a known set of good working versions of supporting libraries you can share with me? I guess the big issue is the Qt version. What is the latest version that is known to compile ok? Also, what about xcode? Is there a known good version to compile against? Is it even possible to downgrade it to a working version?

I'm happy to compile on any version of OSX but I expect to ultimately run the FE on 10.12 (Sierra). My plan is to just dissect the all-in-one build script and manually run each section one by one so I can understand the process and correct oddities as they pop up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

See:

Building Myth for Mac strictly 'by hand' is a huge job. Some things must be built first to support other things. Library references need to be patched. Etc, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2224

@warpme managed a few months ago to build a fixes/29 frontend. I presume he's using some version of the official packaging script:

https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/tre ... /OSX/build

I would also guess that he has had to make a bunch of modifications to pull more recent versions of the dependencies. Perhaps also to deal with changes to Qt packaging. But I'm just guessing. It would be nice to get the official script updated on the repository.

Re Xcode, you aren't likely to have a problem there. Just get the most recent version for your OS:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/XcodeVersionInfo

Note that you need the Command Line Tools as well which is a separate install.

Craig
dutchhome
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dutchhome »

Thanks. I did see that post before but I didn't realize it listed versions of libraries. I'll try replicating his build first (Sierra + Qt 5.5 + MiniMyth patches). Once I get something working I can start bumping versions up. My initial attempts failed pretty quickly and it wasn't clear if it was my environment or due to version issues.