Setting up Multiple Sources?

For discussion related to MythTV which doesn't belong in another forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mattlach
Senior
United States of America

Setting up Multiple Sources?

Post by mattlach »

Hey all,

Very happy MythTV user here. I have had the same 0.27 backend setup in mythbuntu for 3 years now hwith my source as FiOS fiber TV, getting my channel information from SchedulesDirect.

I happen to have an extra Ethernet tuner kicking around, and I've been toying with the idea of sticking an indoor antenna in the attic, and adding OTA channels to the mix as well. Particularly, I'm hoping this will allow me to tune into some of the Fox channels which are now flagged as "copy once" on Verizon.

Is this difficult to get working properly? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? How does channel numbering work when dealing with multiple sources? I'm guessing I'll ahve to take a more proactive approach, than just letting th etuner auto-populate the channel list?

I've stayed on 0.27 thus far because it just works, and I've had no reason to upgrade. Would being on 0.28 be beneficial in any way to this effort?

Much obliged,
Matt
v33 backend in 22.04 LTS w. LXDE, in LXC on server w. 16C/32T Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM. 6C & 8GB assigned to container.
wesnewell
Senior
United States of America

Re: Setting up Multiple Sources?

Post by wesnewell »

You can set the channel ID to whatever you want or let myth do it for you in case of duplicate channel numbers.
BE/FE-Asrock AB350 Pro Ryzen 3 3200G, 6 atsc tuners. FE's-GF8200's Athlon II, Ryzen 3 2200G. Mythtv user since 2005.
mattlach
Senior
United States of America

Post by mattlach »

wesnewell wrote:You can set the channel ID to whatever you want or let myth do it for you in case of duplicate channel numbers.
Ahh,

Thanks for the response.

I've only ever had the channels autopopulated. I'm not even sure how I turn that off.

I have two HD Homerun Prime's with Cable Cards currently in use for my Fios. I have a spare Ceton network tuner I figured I could connect to an OTA antenna I have kicking around to add in the OTA channels as well.

So, what you are saying is that usually the channel numbers OTA and via cable are the same, but sometimes you have to manually adjust them?

How does this work with SchedulesDirect? Can I get scheduling information for both sources at the same time? From what I recall, on the SchedulesDirect page, I have to choose my source, and I don’t see a way to select more than one. Does this mean I need multiple SchedulesDirect accounts?

Appreciate the help!

--Matt
v33 backend in 22.04 LTS w. LXDE, in LXC on server w. 16C/32T Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM. 6C & 8GB assigned to container.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

You'd (or at least I) setup a new OTA lineup at SD.
Then added the new card and new source (cleverly
named OTA.)

The internal chanids will all be different, but the Call Signs
are can be edited to be the same. That way, when looking
at the Guide in mythfrontend, you'd only see one entry for
a channel that appears in both sources. E.g. chanid 1606
(cable HD channel 606) and 2061 (OTA 6_1) could both be
named xxx-HD. You may want to be sure the XMLTVIDs
are the same for both, if they truly broadcast the same
programs.

In mythtv-setup, make sure the "Enter guide data program arguments"
for mythfilldatabase is --dd-grab-all .

No, just one SD account, two lineups.
mattlach
Senior
United States of America

Post by mattlach »

:twisted:
bill6502 wrote:You'd (or at least I) setup a new OTA lineup at SD.
Then added the new card and new source (cleverly
named OTA.)

The internal chanids will all be different, but the Call Signs
are can be edited to be the same. That way, when looking
at the Guide in mythfrontend, you'd only see one entry for
a channel that appears in both sources. E.g. chanid 1606
(cable HD channel 606) and 2061 (OTA 6_1) could both be
named xxx-HD. You may want to be sure the XMLTVIDs
are the same for both, if they truly broadcast the same
programs.
Thank you, this is very helpful

I just created a new lineup in SchedulesDirect and found that many channels already appear to have the same XMLTVID's so that should make my life easier.

Fios:

OTA:

So, in the guide (which I find I don't use much) they will be merged based on XMLTVID, but I assume that in the livetv channel browser (which even after 4 years of having a powerful PVR my fiance still insists on using) I'd imagine they will still be listed individually by channel number?

Is there a way to set a priority for scheduled recordings, so that it checks the OTA channels first, and only uses the FiOS channels if they are unavailable? (This probably shouldn't be needed since I have 6 cablecard tuners, but it is probably wise to properly optimize it anyway)
bill6502 wrote: In mythtv-setup, make sure the "Enter guide data program arguments"
for mythfilldatabase is --dd-grab-all .
What does this do?

Thanks again,
Matt
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Post by bill6502 »

In the guide, the channels will be merged based on the Call Sign.

In mythtv-setup, you can choose the Schedule and Live TV order
(which are best made the opposite.) It's under Input Connections,
<your connections>, Interactions between inputs. My Schedule
order is 1 for my OTA input and cable gets 2, 3 & 4. Live TV starts
at 4 and goes down to 1. But that's because I rarely watch Live TV.

--dd-grab-all gets your entire schedule from Schedules Direct
in one download and is the preferred (more efficient) way to
retrieve it (as opposed to letting mythfilldatabase do downloads
for each day.)
mattlach
Senior
United States of America

Post by mattlach »

Well, it turns out my spare Ceton InfiniTV 6 Eth does not support OTA signals, only cable, so I guess this project is off. At least for now

That's too bad.