Myth Frontend Crashes While Editing

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on OSX
leejk
Junior

Myth Frontend Crashes While Editing

Post by leejk »

Hi,

I was wondering if others have the same experience. I manually edit the commercial cuts on some recordings, and Myth Frontend crashes regularly during the editing. It seems random, but will definitely crash within a 5 minute period. The crashes always happen when I am incrementing the video at the frame level, using the left and right arrows keys. Using the 0.28.1 build.
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Myth Frontend Crashes While Editing

Post by dizygotheca »

pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

@leejk, you are building Myth yourself, right? As opposed to using the all-in-one installer?

The current version of 0.28-fixes in MacPorts does NOT include the fix that dizygotheca mentioned. It should be easy to update to catch that fix and a few others. Let me see if I can make it happen.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

OK, I've pushed an update to MacPorts to bring the 0.28 ports to include up-to-date fixes. May take 1/2 hour from now to propagate to all the mirrors.

Please let me know if you spot any problems. There weren't that many changes so I think the risk of a regression is low...but you never know. I have started testing 29 and I don't have the time to bring up a 0.28 environment.

Craig
leejk
Junior

Post by leejk »

Hi Craig,

I am using your all-in-one installer. I will try the latest one you mentioned and see if the crashes go away.

Did you mean you were publishing a new all-in-one installer or something else?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

leejk wrote:I am using your all-in-one installer. I will try the latest one you mentioned and see if the crashes go away.

Did you mean you were publishing a new all-in-one installer or something else?
Sorry, I updated MacPorts so people who install with 'sudo port install mythtv.28' will be able to get the latest version. Building a new all-in-one installer is a much more involved process and I don't have time to do it now. I have a house sale closing in October and there is tonne of stuff to do beforehand.

Craig
(Please don't mix the two install methods. That way leads to madness.)
leejk
Junior

Post by leejk »

Sure, no problem I understand. If I wanted to migrate my setup to Macports, are the basic steps to backup my db and follow these instructions? https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Building_My ... h_MacPorts
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

The main issue is that the all-in-one installs in /opt/dvr and MacPorts to /opt/local (by default). Off the top of my head...

Shut down mythbackend
Backup the database and verify that backup is a reasonable size (ie not empty)
Shut down the database
Delete everything under /opt/dvr

Install XCode and MacPorts
Make sure your PATH points to /opt/local and NOT /opt/dvr

Build/install mythtv.28
Restore the database
Run mythtv-setup to verify settings, etc
Start the backend and test

The order of the steps is pretty important.

Craig
leejk
Junior

Post by leejk »

Ok, one last concern I have is that I also have HomeBrew installed on here in order to have a few tools that are not on macports. Has anyone ever encountered problems with having them both installed?
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

leejk wrote:Ok, one last concern I have is that I also have HomeBrew installed on here in order to have a few tools that are not on macports. Has anyone ever encountered problems with having them both installed?
It is not recommended to have two package managers active at the same time. Some people get away with it but it can cause problems both at install time and run time. You would be on your own for support.

BTW, what tools are in HomeBrew and not MacPorts? MacPorts has roughly 4 times as many packages as HomeBrew.

Craig
leejk
Junior

Post by leejk »

Filebot is the only reason I have it installed.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

leejk wrote:Filebot is the only reason I have it installed.
Ah. It appears to be a Java app and has minimal other dependencies so the odds of a conflict or collision are fairly small. If that is the total of your HomeBrew install, it will likely work OK with Myth installed from MacPorts.

You could also try requesting it from MacPorts. At a glance, it appears to be pretty straightforward. OTOH, everything I know about Java would fit in a thimble...with a thimble-full of room left over!

Craig