Mythtv and Hd Homerun prime

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
Tdiguy
Newcomer
United States of America

Mythtv and Hd Homerun prime

Post by Tdiguy »

So from what i am reading what i want to do seems likely. I want to set up my raspberry pi 3 as a mythtv backend. I am unsure if it will work with my tuner which is a hd homerun prime ( which is already set up with a cable card and i have verified this part works using my windows laptop ). My goal end setup is this, mythtv backend on the pi with a usb hard drive for storage. A fire tv a fire stick both using plex with mythtv plugins to work as frontends.
Anyone know if this should be doable or am i dreaming?
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Mythtv and Hd Homerun prime

Post by pgbennett »

There are some people running backends on Raspberry Pi. Bear in mind the network is only 100Mb/s so that will limit the number of recordings and playbacks you can do at the same time. I recommend reduce the GPU memory allocation to the minimum and do not run anything else (in particular do not try to run a frontend on the same Raspberry Pi). Bear in mind it has only 1 GB main memory.

I don't know about the fire stick. If it works with a normal backend it should work with a Raspberry Pi. Alternatively you could use another Raspberry Pi as a frontend.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

No experience here with the rPi but the Prime has 3 tuners. Max, you could be recording 40 mbps from each so that would overload the network interface all by itself. Add streaming to one or more clients and it seems like asking too much of the poor little thing. That's before considering commercial flagging any of the recordings, too.

Craig
(Who is going to stay with a beefy backend box.)
Formerly the MacPorts guy.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

I don't think the situation is quite that bad. The highest bit rate I have seen for an HD channel is 8 Gigabytes per hour. (most are less than that). That works out to 17.7 Megabits per second. 64 Gigabits per hour = 64000 Megabits per hour divide by 3600 = 17.77 Megabits per second.
So recording 3 channels at once on that uses 53 Mb/s.
Unlike some media, ethernet actually gives its rated speed, so you can really get 100 Mb/s.
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Post by pvr4me »

Oh, that's right. I was thinking of multi-rec but that's not possible with the Prime.

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.