Scroll unreadable text in mythfrontend

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
g444
Junior
Germany

Scroll unreadable text in mythfrontend

Post by g444 »

Hi,

there are buttons in mythfrontend where only parts of the text is visible, so sometimes it's not clear what a button does. So i think it would be nice if text that doesn't fit a button would scroll when it's selected.
The same thing would also be nice for epg show description, so it's not necessary anymore to press "i" to see complete description.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Scroll unreadable text in mythfrontend

Post by paulh »

Scrolling text is already possible but is down to the theme to use it.

It can be quite annoying if you have lots of scrolling text areas on a screen though.

What tends to happen is a theme will be created using one of the English translations so all labels etc are made big enough to display their text but themers rarely try other translations which often require bigger text areas to display their translation of the same text.
g444
Junior
Germany

Post by g444 »

Is there a list of themes that support scrolling? And how can i find out who created a theme so i can contact the creator to add scrolling?

I think text should only scroll when it's selected, this way it shouldn't be annoying.

I think i'm using the terra theme but there are labels that don't even fit the english text iirc..
Would it be possible to add an option to enable scrolling globally, for all themes?

I think about creating/modifying a theme, is that hard? (There seems to be an entry in the mythtv wiki, but i can't reach it atm)
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

g444 wrote:Is there a list of themes that support scrolling? And how can i find out who created a theme so i can contact the creator to add scrolling?
No list that I'm aware of. Just try them and see. Each theme has a themeinfo.xml file that contains the theme authors name and email address. You'll usually find the installed themes in ~/.mythtv/themes.

I think there is a theme called something like MythAeon that may have scrolling text.

I also know the Steppes theme author made sure that it looked good in most of the languages we support paying attention to labels and button text was large enough for the translated text.

I added scrolling text for the program description in the MythCenter-wide version of the 'Watch Recordings' screen.
I think text should only scroll when it's selected, this way it shouldn't be annoying.
It depends on which text you want to scroll. If its a focusable widget like a button or button list item then you can get the text to scroll only if it has focus. Other text like labels never get focus so they either scroll all the time if the text doesn't fit or not at all.
I think i'm using the terra theme but there are labels that don't even fit the english text iirc..
Would it be possible to add an option to enable scrolling globally, for all themes?
The Terra theme was never completed so falls back to the default theme in many places which can cause the problem you are seeing. We prefer that theme related options be up to to the theme authors if they want to use them or not so there will be no option to enable it for all themes.
I think about creating/modifying a theme, is that hard? (There seems to be an entry in the mythtv wiki, but i can't reach it atm)
It's really easy to do, just requires editing some text files, but can be a little frustrating to get things right because of all the let try that and see how it looks experimentation that is required. I have a part completed theme editor that will make it easier but got distracted working on other things so never completed it.