Improved Intel deinterlacing

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
BenH
Junior
Australia

Improved Intel deinterlacing

Post by BenH » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:02 pm

With the increase in small, cheap x86 devices running Intel graphics, I think there is value in implementing the new Motion Adaptive and Motion Compensating deinterlacing methods available for Intel/VAAPI now.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... ers/578854

These have been implemented in kodi and work very well in Ubuntu once you install a patched kernel and experimental drivers.

Ben

fphillips
Junior
United States of America

Re: Improved Intel deinterlacing

Post by fphillips » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:49 am

There are multiple reasons to pursue VPP:
  1. Intel CPUs commonly include a GPU, so use it's full potential instead of adding a dedicated nVidia card.
  2. Ultrabook and tablet frontends become more attractive.
  3. An integrated nVidia (Ion) successor hasn't materialized.
Caveat: Feature support by CPU generation will vary due to both hardware ability and driver support/bugs. SNB/IVB/HSW

Documentation: http://01org.github.io/libva_master_doxygen/index.html
API specification: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libva/tree/va/va.h
The pull request that resulted in Kodi support: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5253
Last edited by fphillips on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

martyg
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by martyg » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:34 pm

Broadwell low-voltage CPUs shipping now are perfect for HTPC with their low (15W) power footprint.
My new laptop (i5-5300u w/ HD5500) effortlessly renders 1080i without any heat or fan noise on Kodi 14.2 (Supports VAAPI-MCDI)
GPU deinterlacer support is the only thing holding me back from upgrading my clunky old Celeron/NVIDIA HTPC with a Broadwell NUC.

stuarta
Developer
Great Britain

Post by stuarta » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks, we are aware of this, we just haven't found any time to look at implementing it. If somebody wants to take a stab at it, they are quite welcome :)

BenH
Junior
Australia

Post by BenH » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:55 am

Hi Stuart, nice of you to provide some input on the topic and I appreciate your busy, particularly with the QT5 move by the look of it.

I know you guys probably get sick of people saying "I'm not a developer but happy to do any testing required" but I'm in that boat.

Realistically, is this something that someone with very little coding experience could learn and implement in a reasonable time or is this a job for an experienced developer?

Thanks
Ben

Gary Buhrmaster
Junior
United States of America

Post by Gary Buhrmaster » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:15 am

BenH wrote:Realistically, is this something that someone with very little coding experience could learn and implement in a reasonable time or is this a job for an experienced developer?
Likely going to need someone with expertice with libva (VA-API) and the MythTV video pipeline. That likely means someone experienced (with one, or the other). There are examples from other projects regarding using the new(er) VA-API capabilities that might be able to be leveraged (if you examine the changes they made to support the new(er) capabilities), but my suspicion is that they will not help extensively because first you have to understand those other projects video methods.