weekly recording option

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
kilmarnock
Newcomer
Ghana

weekly recording option

Post by kilmarnock »

[I used 0.24 years ago, 0.27 since 8 weeks, switched to 0.28 two days ago - different story, ubuntu 12.04->14.04 ]
Hi!

I would like to bring up a topic that was my main reason to come back to mythtv (from dreambox). This is it's feature of recording a show weekly, only selecting its title.
The honoured devs invented filters, but they give you a predefined time slot on a predefined channel.

-- My use case is:
German user recording shows that come on a weekly / monthly schedule in public television. They get repeated up to 6-8 times a week on different channels (with different epg editors -> no subtitle, description filter).
-- What changed:
The record weekly option became less sophisticated since 0.24. The option is replaced by a simple filter (everyone has).
-- Linked diskussion:
From June 2014:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/m ... ers/573322
"The simple solution, don't use timeslot rules unless you have very good
reason for doing so. Give MythTV a title to record, and let it decide on
its own using your guide data when to do so. "
-- What is your point?
I want to klick on the title in the epg, select the show, select "record one show per week" and mythtv does the magic of finding a dynamic gliding window that suits current and future record plans for other shows.
-- What is your point?
I want to klick on the title in the epg, select the show, select "record one show per week" and do sth. different.
-- How much do you want it?
No offence, I can live with XBMC :-)
Thank you for your work and time.
kilmarnock
Newcomer
Ghana

weekly recording option update

Post by kilmarnock »

I am wondering about the missing resonance for my feature request. Is my english that bad? Please give me a hint where I could make myself clearer.

Meanwhile I am deleting an average of 4 shows per day that I already saw.

Bump!
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: weekly recording option

Post by paulh »

At the moment the only way to do what you want is by using a Custom Record Rule.

If we understand what you want correctly the you need to find the first showing of the 'week' in the EPG and choose 'custom edit' from the menu (Menu->Recording Options->Custom Edit)
Then choose 'Record' and in the Schedule Editor you can then choose 'Record One Showing Every Week'
kilmarnock
Newcomer
Ghana

Post by kilmarnock »

Thank you paulh for your response.

I think you understand me right because you point me to a place I want to be.

Unfortunatelly the option you describe does not exist (mythtv 0.28)

I see: Menu->Recording Options->Custom Edit

In custom edit (epg->custom edit), "Record One Showing Every Week" is _not_ an option. It is gone since 0.24 (IMHO). See attached image.
screenshot custom edit
screenshot custom edit
b.png (187.05 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
Please, is the option there in this screen or somewhere else?
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Post by dizygotheca »

Is my english that bad? Please give me a hint where I could make myself clearer.
Feel free to use the German sub-forum, if you prefer. viewforum.php?f=11
The honoured devs invented filters, but they give you a predefined time slot on a predefined channel.
Not quite right. "This day and time" (10th in list) will record from any channel provided "This channel" (11th) is not selected.
The record weekly option became less sophisticated since 0.24. The option is replaced by a simple filter (everyone has).
The "Record One Showing Every Week" option was removed from the standard options in the UI because few people use/need it. It was moved and re-named to the "This day and time" filter but I believe it works the same as it did in 0.24.
I want to klick on the title in the epg, select the show, select "record one show per week" and mythtv does the magic of finding a dynamic gliding window that suits current and future record plans for other shows.
Click the title, check the "This day and time" filter (Edit Schedule->Schedule Options->Schedule Filters) and it should do just that. In what way does that not work for you ?

Recording 'one per week' really means 'record the first episode after <starttime> that has no conflicts, then ignore all other episodes for 7 days'. So you must always (and always had to) specify when the 'week' begins (<starttime>). Myth tries to help by using the start time of the selected showing, which is why it is important to choose the episode you set the rule on carefully, i.e. choose one after all the repeats, if possible.

The issue you referenced was where Myth missed recordings because the scheduled times varied slightly (it saw 2 episodes in one 'week', correctly ignored the 2nd and then saw no episodes in the following 'week'. Presumably there was only one episode aired each week). In your case that shouldn't be a problem because there are 6-8 each week.

However your 'gliding window' runs a risk that, if Myth ignores the first showing(s) of the 'week' because of conflicts, the next showing it records may actually be a repeat of the previous week. Then it will ignore all others, meaning you may miss the episode you wanted. So you need to monitor it carefully. The only safe option is to record them all.

If defining the start of your 'week' from a showing isn't suitable, then you can set it explicitly with the "Custom Edit"/power rules that paulh and raymond mentioned.
Start with the "Only on Weekdays" and "Only in Prime Time" samples, then edit the SQL to something like:

Code: Select all

program.title = 'The Last Leg' 
AND WEEKDAY(CONVERT_TZ(program.starttime, 'Etc/UTC', 'SYSTEM')) >= 2 
AND HOUR(CONVERT_TZ(program.starttime, 'Etc/UTC', 'SYSTEM')) >= 19 
which will set the 'week' start to Wednesday (2, where 0=Mon 6=Sun in my locale) at 7pm (19) for the title "The Last Leg".
Check it works with "Test", then select "Record" and either set the "This day and Time" filter as before, or choose the "Record One Showing Every Week", which still appears in the Custom Edit options - they both do the same thing.

Having said all that, better listings data is always preferable and is available in Germany. I presume you're in Ghana...
kilmarnock
Newcomer
Ghana

Post by kilmarnock »

Hi dizygotheca, thank you for your reply.
Click the title, check the "This day and time" filter (Edit Schedule->Schedule Options->Schedule Filters) and it should do just that. In what way does that not work for you ?

I do not want to record at a perticular time of a particular date. I want to record one episode of show "abc" per week, dynamically chosen. I do not want to track if they change their place in time or if I overwrite a such "simple" scheduled show (they repeat later 6 times).
So you must always (and always had to) specify when the 'week' begins (<starttime>).
Monday is fine.
the next showing it records may actually be a repeat of the previous week
they did not do that with the old algorithm we already had (I even told my brother about that feature)
better listings data is always preferable and is available in Germany
I had free and paid and I am still deleting 24 episode doublettes a week. Your SQL approach lacks the ability to mark an episode as "recorded already since monday 00:00:00" (write support).
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Post by dizygotheca »

It was moved and re-named to the "This day and time" filter but I believe it works the same as it did in 0.24.
Apologies. After testing, it seems I was wrong and these recordings don't reschedule ("gliding window") on conflicts.

As paulh said, the option still exists under Custom Rules. From your screenshot select "Record" and you will see an Edit Schedule page which still has the "Record one showing per week" option you're looking for.