Audio in menus

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
white_haired_uncle
Senior
United States of America

Audio in menus

Post by white_haired_uncle »

This is more of a (questionable) suggestion than a wish. Honestly, I'd probably turn it off myself. But I found it an interesting thought.

You can place a file called folder.jpg to be used as the icon for folders in Video Gallery, which is nice. But why not theme.ogg as well (with setting for number of repeat(s))? Why an image icon, but not the audio equivalent?

When I realized this could be useful for the visually impaired, I thought why stop there. I don't know the state of text to speech tech, but it seems like if it worked pretty reasonably, there's no reason (says the guy who won't be writing the code) to stop there. Of course, a few menu items might need to change like s/Watch Recordings/Play Recordings/. [Hmm, I wonder if this part is already implemented elsewhere so that it applies to all apps, and adding audio to menus in myth would just be redundant -- seems like it should be].

Could make for some interesting themes. Donald Duck, Sam Kinnison, Christopher Walken, HAL...