Auto-flag commercials - default value by channel

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
nouglywires
Junior
United States of America

Auto-flag commercials - default value by channel

Post by nouglywires »

With very few exceptions, US television stations either always or never show commercials. Every time I set up a recording schedule on an ad-free TV station, I must uncheck the "Auto-flag commercials" checkbox.

It would be great if an "Auto-flag commercials" flag could be saved in the Channel setup (that is, the `channel` table). This would determine auto-flag behavior unless overridden. The default for the channel auto-flag value would be `true` - preserving the current default behavior.

The current Recording Schedule auto-flag checkbox might become "No override (use channel default)", "Always auto-flag", and "Never auto-flag" to handle all possible use cases.

I think this proposal would not limit current usage and would be a small help to many users.

Thanks!
kmdewaal
Developer
Netherlands

Re: Auto-flag commercials - default value by channel

Post by kmdewaal »

In mythtv-setup, select 6. Channel Editor, then select a channel and press space, then Channel Options - Common, then Commercial Detection Method and there you can choose from a lot of settings including Commercial Free. If you select that there should be no commercial detection.
Steve Goodey
Great Britain

Re: Auto-flag commercials - default value by channel

Post by Steve Goodey »

You could also try using mythweb, /mythweb/settings/tv/channels. On the right hand side of that page is a column marked commfree.
There you can set commfree for all of your channels on one page, scroll to the bottom and then click save.
Don't forget the Wiki.