Make ttvdb.py and tmdb3.py nice

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
KennyB
Junior
United States of America

Make ttvdb.py and tmdb3.py nice

Post by KennyB »

I don't know that it happens to anyone else, but whenever I scan a large amount of files to my Media Library and have to download metadata for them, the metadata grabbers cause any video that I play in the meantime to hang and stutter. My solution is to add "os.nice 20" right under the definition of the main function so that the processes are launched with a system nice level of 20. Only problem is I often forget that I've updated mythtv and the files are replaced without the niceness adjustment. I was hoping this could be added by default since there doesn't seem to be any reason to NOT run these scripts with a high nice level, especially considering they're background processes.