Transcoding in webfrontend

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Transcoding in webfrontend

Post by sfatula »

One thing mythweb did that webfrontend does not appear to do is allow transcoding requests. What I do is this, when I am on a trip, I often want to retrieve a program or 2 from my home system. With mythweb, I simply requested a transcode, and that transcode shrunk the file down and also copied it on my system to my Google Drive folder, which then uploads it when done. I can then pull the much smaller file from Google Drive.

I don't see any way to request a transcode from webfrontend. It would sure be nice. I don't want to transcode everything, nor can I predict in advance what I may want to transcode.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Transcoding in webfrontend

Post by paulh »

I believe it is supposed to support on the fly HLS transcoding but when I tried it recently it didn't work :( The developer who was working on it is AWOL and we are not sure if it got broken by recent changes or just never worked. It could just be it needs some special voodoo to set up that I'm missing but nobody knows the what that may be :roll:
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Re: Transcoding in webfrontend

Post by sfatula »

Not speaking of transcoding for the purpose of watching in the browser, speaking of running a transcoding job to be more clear. The transcode for the purpose of watching in a browser did work for me, I picked "download" after watch and it actually played in Safari. I just want to select a transcoding job to run against it that has been set up in MythTV. Nice long Handbrake job.