[IDEA] Alternative GUI

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
sonority
Newcomer
Austria

[IDEA] Alternative GUI

Post by sonority »

hi! ...had an idea last night:

i was wondering if it would be possible to use a completely different GUI-technique instead of the currently used QT.... ?
as webdeveloper i work mainly with PHP, CSS3, HTML5, Javascript and wouldn't it be great to use exactly those widespread technologies to draw the MythTV-frontend?
HTML5/CSS3 for example is ready for modern browsers and videoplayback works great.

the idea is the following:
- use an existing browserengine as base (or something which can interpret and display HTML/CSS).
- use "twig" or a similar technique for the templates which were used in all the frontend-views. the concept that markers were getting filled later is a great approach i think.
- these templates are styled completely with CSS3, which will make it a lot easier to make wonderful frontend-themes.
- use javascript to implement complex scenarios like animations, plugins, and so on...

the benefit would be a modern looking and extremely flexible interface/theme, where the structure of a theme is detached from the styles. theme creators could then use common techniques and do not need to mess up with those incredible confusing and buggy XML-files.
security should rely on the browser-engine which is maintained by the developers (mozilla, google, etc).

so it's an idea for now but i would like to implement that sooner or later. i just don't know where i should start...
where in the code should i begin? first question would be: is it possible to implement a new frontend-engine? and if YES: how can someone implement it in MythTV?

...or why don't we use a CMS like TYPO3 as frontend? it uses all those techniques already, and someone possible knows how to use it as MythTV-frontend?
is it possible to communicate over the MythTV-protocol from PHP and vice versa?

if someone is interested in this idea, please don't wait, share your thoughts!

best regards, Stephan
[ Alle sagten: "Das geht nicht", dann kam einer der wusste das nicht, und hat's gemacht! ]
pvr4me
Senior
Canada

Re: [IDEA] Alternative GUI

Post by pvr4me »

I think you've just described WebFrontend?

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/WebFrontend

I'm sure patches would be considered!

Craig
Formerly the MacPorts guy.