Could 'record past end of show' always do so, please?

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
austin
Newcomer
New Zealand

Could 'record past end of show' always do so, please?

Post by austin »

The 'record past end of show' feature does not do so when there is another show immediately following. When the broadcast network is running late (a frequent situation here!), this leads to (up to several minutes of) the end of one show being lopped off, and appearing at the beginning of the next show. As well as losing a few seconds in between during the change-over, I have to remember, if I watch the second show first, not to delete it afterwards; I then have to search for it again after watching the first show, to view the end. It would be a great convenience if the 'record past end of show' setting could always be applied, even though that would duplicate the recorded material over a few minutes. I would be happy if that always happened, but it could of course be made optional.
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Re: Could 'record past end of show' always do so, please?

Post by dizygotheca »

'Record past end of show' is (one) form of 'soft padding', which is only applied if the tuner is not required for other things.
It would be a great convenience if the 'record past end of show' setting could always be applied, even though that would duplicate the recorded material over a few minutes
Sounds like you should be setting the 'End recording x mins late' option in the schedule/rule for that show (Edit Recording Schedule ->Schedule Options). Then the recording will always capture the end of the show.

That is 'hard padding' and will always be applied, so at program changeover you will briefly see 2 recordings going - the tail end of one and the start of the next. That will affect the scheduler and may require extra tuners (& so cause conflicts) unless you are using multirec.

If you always want to start recordings x mins early & end them y mins late (most people do) then change your Default template (Recording Rules -> edit the Default (Template) -> Schedule Options). Every new rule you then create will then use those defaults.
austin
Newcomer
New Zealand

Post by austin »

dizygotheca wrote:'Record past end of show' is (one) form of 'soft padding', which is only applied if the tuner is not required for other things.
I must say I find it of little use if it's not consistent. :)
dizygotheca wrote:If you always want to start recordings x mins early & end them y mins late (most people do) then change your Default template (Recording Rules -> edit the Default (Template) -> Schedule Options). Every new rule you then create will then use those defaults.
Thanks, that is exactly what I needed. I would never have found it tucked away in there, as I was looking under the various Settings menus. It would be useful maybe if there was some hint about its whereabouts in the Settings menus.

Many thanks for your help! :D
Mossy
Newcomer
Zimbabwe

Post by Mossy »

dizygotheca wrote:'Record past end of show' is (one) form of 'soft padding', which is only applied if the tuner is not required for other things.
Well then there's a bug in that the padding doesn't always happen when the tuner is not required elsewhere, e.g. when recording consecutive programs on a single channel as described in the OP.
dekarl
Developer
Germany

Post by dekarl »

Mossy wrote:
Well then there's a bug in that the padding doesn't always happen when the tuner is not required elsewhere, e.g. when recording consecutive programs on a single channel as described in the OP.
No, its working as designed. The recorder keeps the hardware running so its ready at the beginning of the recording. It just does not write the bytestream to multiple recordings at once.