HDHomeRun Check tuner status

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
brplut40
Newcomer
United States of America

HDHomeRun Check tuner status

Post by brplut40 »

I have Mythtv with a HDHomeRun Prime tuner. Since the HDHomeRun prime firmware has a built in UPNP server, just about any UPNP client can play directly from the HDHomerun. So this means I can have several TVs in my house streaming directly from the HDHomerun via UPNP. When doing this, Mythtv has no idea that the tuners are in use by these other TVs.

My feature request is to have Mythtv check the tuner status to see if it is in use by an outside entity. I know Mythtv keeps track if IT is using a tuner for any backend or frontend activity, but it does not check if something else may be using the tuner. This would be very easy to implement by using the hdhomerun_config <id> get /tuner#/status command and if there is a lock, the tuner is currently busy. This will ensure that Mythtv does not bump or override another TV or player using the tuner. To further this request, you could have two options if the tuner is in use. The first is to just override the tuner and tune to the channel it needs to. The other is to not override the tuner and let normal scheduling priority take effect. The second option of course runs the risk that something may not be recorded when required.
dekarl
Developer
Germany

Re: HDHomeRun Check tuner status

Post by dekarl »

See #10043 for the discussion related to that feature.
sfatula
Senior
United States of America

Post by sfatula »

Really looking forward to the tuner lock in 10043, hope it happens. This is a super important issue to me, always losing recordings.
ssorrrell
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by ssorrrell »

It seems this change didn't .28 and is possibly in .29. I'm excited for this as well. Maybe running a development build to get it.