Full support for S3 sleep-resume

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
warpme
Translator
Poland

Full support for S3 sleep-resume

Post by warpme »

Hi,
I want to see this is feature in MythFrontend as support for use case when user has fe working as dedicated appliance.
What is problem: when host with fe is send to sleep for time period longer than 1-2h, after fe resume, fe>be notification connection is lost.
Example of functional effect of broken fe>be notification connection is i.e. lack of EPG status/highlights changes when user schedule new recording.
To restore full functionality fe restart after appliance resume is required.
br
rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Re: Full support for S3 sleep-resume

Post by rwagner »

The backend communication is one-way. One side always sends messages, the other receives and optionally responds. The command and event connections to the master backend operate in a pair, where one is used for the frontend to send commands and query data, and the other is used for the backend to send events. When the command connect reconnects, the event connection is supposed to reconnect automatically as well, and the code seems to support this. The only thing I can guess is that the second connection is not properly being linked into the event system. This is really a bug report, not a feature request.
warpme
Translator
Poland

Re: Full support for S3 sleep-resume

Post by warpme »

rwagner wrote:When the command connect reconnects, the event connection is supposed to reconnect automatically as well, and the code seems to support this. The only thing I can guess is that the second connection is not properly being linked into the event system. This is really a bug report, not a feature request.
So it looks like there is bug. At first glance it seems to be small thing - but if user uses mythtv as appliance in sleep-resume regime - this bug forces to kill/restart whole mythfrontend process on sleep-resume cycle.

Should I fill bug report?