Improve efficiency of tuner selection

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
7even
Newcomer
Germany

Improve efficiency of tuner selection

Post by 7even »

Ok, so my first two threads here were of some minor wishes, now a more serious one:

Most of my recording rules have some additional minutes appended at the end, because - at least here in germany - they are hardly needed.
Now, it happens often that two subsequent broadcasts from the same channel overlaps because of those additional minutes. MythTV now decides to use two tuners to handle the overlapping time frame.

Far better would be to recognize that this overlapped time frame is to be recorded from the same channel and to use only one tuner for both recordings.
Many of my conflicts would vanish with this improved behavior! :)

What do you think?
rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Re: Improve efficiency of tuner selection

Post by rwagner »

For digital tuners, this will automatically happen. MythTV will record up to five simultaneous channels (or five recordings of the same channel) out of a digital multiplex using one tuner. For analog tuners, this idea has been brought up countless times in the past, but has has not been implemented.
7even
Newcomer
Germany

Post by 7even »

Is this a setting?
Because I am talking of a digital tuner: Digital Devices DUAL DVB-C/T (with two real DVB-C tuners)
rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Post by rwagner »

In the input configuration in mythtv-setup, there is a second page to allow you to specify number of simultaneous recordings to allow. The default is 2.
7even
Newcomer
Germany

Post by 7even »

Hey many thanks, this was on 1 for both of my tuners!
But since I struggled with many problems and this is the second dvb-c card I put into this box, it is highly possible that I adjusted this away from default.

For those that search this option as well: it is behind the button DE="Aufnahmeoptionen" EN="Recording Options" (guessed) ;-)
Gribnif
Junior
United States of America

Post by Gribnif »

I think the better idea would be if, as the data is coming in from the tuner, it gets appended to BOTH files at the same time: the earlier recording and the later one. That way, only one tuner would be needed and both recordings would be complete.
jyavenard
Developer
Australia

Post by jyavenard »

7even wrote:Hey many thanks, this was on 1 for both of my tuners!
But since I struggled with many problems and this is the second dvb-c card I put into this box, it is highly possible that I adjusted this away from default.

For those that search this option as well: it is behind the button DE="Aufnahmeoptionen" EN="Recording Options" (guessed) ;-)
make sure you delete the capture cards in the settings and then re-add the card and set up the maximum number of recordings before saving.

Don't edit the maximum number of recordings allowed after creating the capture card. It will otherwise not work as it's intended to.
rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Post by rwagner »

Is that still the case? I thought after the renumbering mechanism went in, they were always sequential.
7even
Newcomer
Germany

Post by 7even »

After increasing the values for both dvb-c tuners from 1 to 3, my MythWeb status now looks like that:

Code: Select all

Encoder 2 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] is local on htpc7even and is not recording.
 Encoder 4 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 ] is local on htpc7even and is recording 'Gute Zeiten, schlechte Zeiten' on RTL. This recording is scheduled to end at 20:20.
 Encoder 6 [ FREEBOX : http://server7even3/public/media/t-home/iptv.m3u ] is local on htpc7even and is not recording.
 Encoder 7 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] is local on htpc7even and is not recording.
 Encoder 8 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] is local on htpc7even and is not recording.
 Encoder 9 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 ] is local on htpc7even and is not recording.
 Encoder 10 [ DVB : /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 ] is local on htpc7even and is not recording.
Before, the FREEBOX thing was the end of the list.

Looks like it works. Until now I was unable to catch an overlapping situation as described above to verify that it records now to both adjacent recordings from same tuner, but I will watch this.