Please Be Careful with GPU Requirements for Backend Configuration

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
mattlach
Senior
United States of America

Please Be Careful with GPU Requirements for Backend Configuration

Post by mattlach »

Hi, I just figured I'd make this suggestion.

I don't know how many people are like me, running dedicated backends on remote servers and managing them remotely, in my case with X2Go, but I would like to request that devs are careful with resource use in the backend configuration.

Remote management used to be really snappy in the old brown interface (v.27?) but the new blue interface in current use seems to get slower and slower with every upgrade.

Since there is no video card in the box that runs the backend, the backend configuration does not benefit from any dedicated video card rendering capability, which significantly slows down the backend configuration when remotely managed.

As of right now it is still usable, but slow. When making menu selections it slowly fades out and in again.

My concern is that in the future if the backend configuration keeps getting heavier, it might eventually get to a point where it is not possible to remotely configure it.

So, for myself and for people like me who manage a dedicated mythtvbackend remotely, please minimize any transition effects or any other more resource intensive aspects of the GUI backend configuration.
v33 backend in 22.04 LTS w. LXDE, in LXC on server w. 16C/32T Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM. 6C & 8GB assigned to container.
bill6502
Developer
United States of America

Re: Please Be Careful with GPU Requirements for Backend Configuration

Post by bill6502 »

Significant development is being done to use the backend's internal web server to do the setup.
Some of it exists in v33, but v34 is getting even closer.
mattlach
Senior
United States of America

Post by mattlach »

bill6502 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 4:02 am
Significant development is being done to use the backend's internal web server to do the setup.
Some of it exists in v33, but v34 is getting even closer.
That is awesome.

Looking forward to that!

Still would love configuring with over ssh by editing text files in /etc/ like every other service I run under linux, but I guess I can't have everything :p
v33 backend in 22.04 LTS w. LXDE, in LXC on server w. 16C/32T Xeon E5-2650v2, 256GB RAM. 6C & 8GB assigned to container.
white_haired_uncle
Senior
United States of America

Post by white_haired_uncle »

FWIW, I've run the backend headless for years, and sometimes will even pull up the frontend running on a remote machine displaying "locally". And I do all of this using a VNC connection from my laptop to the "desktop" in the other room (i.e. laptop running tiger-vnc-client displaying desktop running windowmaker where I ssh -X mythbackend in a VM).

I have no clue how hardware rendering would accelerate this, since the "video" connection is going over the network. It's certainly not being used in my case.

If this x2go thing is slow (which seems odd unless you're running over a WAN, or something - like network errors), and you can ssh, I have to wonder if you've tried simply using ssh -X (which of course won't fix things like network errors, but I have found over the years that many times displaying an app over ssh is MUCH faster than some of the graphical remote desktop tools).

It would be great if myth had a complete, well documented CLI interface, though in my case that's more about repeatability than performance. But of course I'd still prefer most of the configuration in mysql, /etc would be a huge step backward.

P.S. The old brown interface sounds like Terra. I assume the new blue interface is mythcenter/mythcenter-wide (which did seem to have some transition effects show up very recently, though not enough to cause any pain over a working connection). You might try switching your theme to see if that helps.

HTH