TitanTV for remote scheduling?

What would you like to see in MythTV and why? Find others who might want to help implement your ideas!
Forum rules
Please be reasonable and positive with your feature requests, remember that all contributions to MythTV are by volunteers in their spare time. MythTV won't support piracy in any form, including torrents and use of soft cams, so to avoid embarrassment please do not ask.

* One suggestion per thread please. Do not post new suggestions in replies. *
duaneoca
Newcomer
United States of America

TitanTV for remote scheduling?

Post by duaneoca »

Folks,

I apologize if I'm bringing up a topic that has been discussed and closed, but I'm interested in the idea of using TitanTV to remotely manage my settings for recordings. Are there reasons (policy or technical) why this isn't a feature in development? I'd be interested in pitching in on development work to make it happen.

Just to be clear, I have no interest in TitanTV as source of program listings.

Cheers,
Duane
rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Re: TitanTV for remote scheduling?

Post by rwagner »

rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Post by rwagner »

Note that that script only handles local scheduling, where your backend is accessible directly over the network. Proper remote scheduling requires that one become a "TitanTV Partner", and periodically poll their SOAP interface. The script linked above was something written quickly upon a user request, however it turned out to be useless as it attempts to marry the record request against MythTV's existing guide data and scheduler, when it turned out the user only wanted it to be able to bypass MythTV's scheduler entirely. Trying to figure out how to become a partner application fell outside my interest at the time.
duaneoca
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by duaneoca »

Thanks for the response. I have sent a note to TitanTV about becoming a partner. We'll see where it goes. If you have any more hints/suggestions/warnings, I'd appreciate them!
rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Post by rwagner »

Why not just use MythWeb?
duaneoca
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by duaneoca »

If I am at home, I can sit down in front of the computer and add/remove the shows I would like. If I am on the go, I'd have to establish an ssh tunnel to my home machine (which doesn't have a static IP) and then hit a forwarded port to get to the web server. Significantly more painful than pulling up the TitanTV app on my phone.
rwagner
Developer
United States of America

Post by rwagner »

You could set up a dynamic domain, and open a port for the web server.
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Post by heyted »

MythRecCal (mythreccal.py) is a script that can be set to run daily on a MythTV backend computer which allows setting recordings from other devices using titantv.com. One of the options on TitanTV for each guide listing is to add the program information to your personal calendar. MythRecCal checks your calendar and sets a corresponding recording in MythTV for each program added. MythRecCal is available at https://github.com/heyted/mythreccal.
Ted | My blog