Key binding on Firestick remote

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Android devices
cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Key binding on Firestick remote

Post by cliveb »

I recently got a Firestick 4K Max to use as a frontend.
Contrary to jfabernathy's comment that the Max doesn't work properly, it seems to be fine running mythfrontend for me.
(I'm using v31 - not yet updated to v32, so perhaps that makes some difference?)

Anyhow, the reason for this post is to ask if anyone knows a way to reassign some of the Firestick's remote buttons so they can be used in Myth frontend.
The "ring" and centre button work fine, and I've been able to assign the return, menu, rew, play/pause and fwd keys.
But all the other keys (power, alexa, home, mute, vol up/down, liveTV, and the 4 streaming service keys) appear to get intercepted directly by the Firestick so they can't be assigned as Myth key bindings. I can understand why a home button is always needed(!) but it would be nice to be able to remap some of the others while in the mythfrontend app.

Any ideas?
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: Key binding on Firestick remote

Post by jfabernathy »

I've struggle with this also. I use a BT mini remote/keyboard so I can access to all the keys.

https://www.amazon.com/iPazzPort-Blueto ... B08H4K3VB1
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

The Power and Volume control keys, including mute, translate to IR signals to the TV so they do not reach the application. As to the NetFilx, Hulu, etc. buttons, I assume these companies pay Amazon a lot of money to put these buttons there and insist that they not be remapped. It is a bit irritating that there are so few buttons.

You can set any key to have a "long press" action. That way the key can be used for two purposes. This is no good for keys where you want repeat action, because long press remove support for repeat action. I set Long Press of the center button to "OSD-Navigation" which is an icon bar of actions during playback.
cliveb
Senior
Great Britain

Post by cliveb »

pgbennett wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:40 pm
The Power and Volume control keys, including mute, translate to IR signals to the TV so they do not reach the application.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure they can't actually generate IR signals - my LG TV doesn't have an IR remote, it uses RF.
My guess is that it uses HDMI CEC to send the commands to the TV. In which case, if CEC was disabled on the HDMI input I wonder if it would free up these extra buttons?
pgbennett wrote:
You can set any key to have a "long press" action. That way the key can be used for two purposes. This is no good for keys where you want repeat action, because long press remove support for repeat action. I set Long Press of the center button to "OSD-Navigation" which is an icon bar of actions during playback.
Ah, right. Thanks. I'll check that out.
ferminl11
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by ferminl11 »

cliveb wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:11 pm
pgbennett wrote:
The Power and Volume control keys, including mute, translate to IR signals to the TV so they do not reach the application.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure they can't actually generate IR signals - my LG TV doesn't have an IR remote, it uses RF.
My guess is that it uses HDMI CEC to send the commands to the TV. In which case, if CEC was disabled on the HDMI input I wonder if it would free up these extra buttons?
pgbennett wrote:
Ah, right. Thanks. I'll check that out.
I am using a Bluetooth remote and its working fine for me