FireTV 4K MAX update

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Android devices
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

FireTV 4K MAX update

Post by jfabernathy »

I've been testing the new FireTV 4K Max a lot recently. First off I use the same settings for Mythtv Frontend as I did for the original FireTV 4K as I listed here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3857#p18674

While the original FireTV 4K was okay with mythfrontend, it was noticeably poorer than on the Shield TV or certainly the Leanfront version of Mythtvfrontend.

However, the Max version of the FireTV 4K is better to the point of having difficulty even finding a flaw. My experimenting has shown me that you can't increase the interlace quality without creating problems, but using Low still produces an great picture.

All my testing was on USA OTA ATSC MPEG-2 1080i or 720P. I did also test some h.264 content that was transcoded from MPEG-2 material. The MPEG-2 material uses the MPEG2 - ffmeg codec/dec and decint: 2x GLSL onefield. The h.264 used the Android MediaCodec.

WARNING: if you do a lot of changing the video playback profiles and testing at some point the FireTV is so messed up that even the original settings don't work well. I got it so messed up that even Leanfront would not play a video. I had to restart the FireTV to fix this.