Streaming music from MythTV to Android

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Android devices
AdamJacobs
Junior
Great Britain

Streaming music from MythTV to Android

Post by AdamJacobs »

I have noticed that the VLC app on my Android device can see my MythTV server as a source of streamed music (presumably via UPnP), but it can't actually see any of the music in it. If I click on the MythTV icon within VLC, it just says "This directory is empty".

This is different to the VLC installed on my Ubuntu PC, which can stream music from my MythTV server without any problems, so presumably the problem is specific to VLC on Android.

A little googling suggests that this was a well known problem several years ago. Can I assume it was never fixed, or am I missing some trick to get it to work?

And if VLC on Android won't stream music from MythTV, are there other Android apps that would be expected to do so? Please note that it's only music I'm interested in, I have no plans to watch video on my phone.

Thanks
Adam
heyted
Senior
United States of America

Re: Streaming music from MythTV to Android

Post by heyted »

I use VLC on my Android phone to play music from the same directory that is accessed by MythMusic. On my backend Ubuntu box, I started Files (aka Nautilus) and used the "share this folder" option. After that, VLC could find and play the music.
Ted | My blog
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

If you want mythtv to see it, I think you need to add the music directory to the "Storage Directory" setup for the backend. You can have multiple directories if your music is in several locations. Once defined you can set it up on any mythfrontend.

I also have all my music directories setup on a smb/cifs share so anything that is on my wifi or wired network can stream music: Kodi, phone, tablet, smart tv.
AdamJacobs
Junior
Great Britain

Post by AdamJacobs »

@heyted: Thanks for the suggestion, if I set my music folder up as a shared folder, then I can get to it from VLC that way. Maybe that would be a reasonable workaround.

@jfabernathy: I've already set the music directory to the storage directory setup in the backend. I don't think the problem is with MythTV: it works as a media server just fine if I use VLC on my desktop, or indeed with a network radio that I have in my kitchen, which can also pick up all the music from MythTV's media server capabilities.

The problem seems to be specific to VLC on Android.