Firestick 4K MythFrontend Video Frame Buffering Failed too many times.

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Android devices
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Firestick 4K MythFrontend Video Frame Buffering Failed too many times.

Post by drifting »

Hi

Managed to install the 31 Mythtv frontend, did it by killing the tools server and restarting. Second time around it installed fine.
Always a problem of course. Cannot get it to play anything back from Myth, and the Android page assumes you know what they are on about! There is a list of settings at the bottom on the page
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android
The audio ones I found fine. But for the life of my I could not find any of those relating to the decoders. Now I am free to admit its me, not th sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes.

Can someone tell me how to set this Firestick 4K to play back recoded TV? Does not matter whether it is HD SD , FreeView or FreeSat

Every time, I get Video Frame Buffering Failed too many times.

Thank you
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Firestick 4K MythFrontend Video Frame Buffering Failed too many times.

Post by pgbennett »

In frontend,
Setup -> Video -> Playback-> Current video playback profile.
Select Mediacodec playback profile. If there is none available in the list, add a new playback profile and select it.
Right arrow on the profile.
In the list, Below "Add new entry", There should be an entry for mediacodec. If there is an entry for something else or no entry, add a new entry and select mediacodec. Make sure mediacodec is the top of the list by selecting it, press M to move up if needed.

escape, save, See if playback works.

If not try mediacodec-decode only, or standard, instead of mediacodec.

Make sure the one you want to try is top of the list.

Once you have one that works, you can delete extra entries here by selecting them and pressing D.

I hope this helps.
drifting
Junior
Great Britain

Post by drifting »

Hi yes, that did help, thank you for taking the time to explain in detail. I understood that ! :-)

However, there is always an however. I would say playing back is completly random, some work, but most don't. Tried the mediacodec, then the mediacodec-decode only. Most of my recordings are HD from either Freeview or Freesat. (they all play under leanfront I might add) Its just that I feel so comfortable with the myth front end, its like a old friend.

Sorry to ask, but do you have any other suggestions I could try. Really appreciate you giving up your time.

Paul.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

As a last resort, did you try "Standard" instead of the mediacodec options?
jksj
Senior
Great Britain

Post by jksj »

Is your F4K software up to date? Until version 6.2.7.3 (Sept 2020) playback of UK recordings had the problems you are describing.
See https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/236.

The issue described above may not have been fixed in v31 of the frontend, you could try the current Master version of Mythtv which works for me on Freesat recordings and I have done limited testing with Freeview.

I think it is sensitive to glitches in the recording when using mediacodec, which may cause it to drop out occasionally.

I cannot run version 31 anymore as I use SAT-IP, so cannot test your exact configuration.
PhilB
Senior
Great Britain

Post by PhilB »

I could not find those video settings either but will persevere.
Setting opengl works on firetv 4k and avoids the frame buffering problem but I only have uk dvb standard definition recordings to check with. It looks just a bit fuzzy though is stable with the limited testing I have done.
It is an improvement on lean front-end which is unstable with London Live recordings. Neither firetv nor myth 31 opengl on my main box with Nvidia is as sharp as myth 0.27 vdpau though so I don't have a clear migration path yet.
Phil