Digital Audio / Passthru on Amazon Fire TV stick

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Android devices
monkeypet
Junior
United States of America

Digital Audio / Passthru on Amazon Fire TV stick

Post by monkeypet »

I am using the mythtvfrontend 32 bit version v31 on the Amazon Fire TV stick 4k (latest as of today). I can't seem to figure out the combination to enabled the Digital Audio and/or Passthru. I have tried most settings in audio including toggling the audio device and the various speaker and digital configuration. The best I got was Digital Dolby 2.0, but that's not the passthru Digital 5.1 I am looking for. The FireTV is connected to my Bose audio receiver via HDMI. Playback video is set to OpenGL using the Android MediaCodec.

The FireTV itself digital audio seems fine with all other apps including Amazon, Disney, Neflix. I tried both Kodi and the MythTV leanfront client on the Amazon Fire TV stick 4k, both are working and seem to be able to stream out the audio at Digital Dolby 5.1.

These are HD TV recordings from HD Home run devices OTA.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Digital Audio / Passthru on Amazon Fire TV stick

Post by pgbennett »

Make sure playback audio is set to Audiotrack and not opensles.
monkeypet
Junior
United States of America

Post by monkeypet »

pgbennett wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:58 pm
Make sure playback audio is set to Audiotrack and not opensles.
This I did. Unfortunately, still not working, I can't it play the sound when selecting the digital audio options. I see my audio receiver changes to Dolby 5.1, but no sound. When I didn't select the digital audio options, I get sound, but only stereo. Kodi and Leanfront works perfectly, but I am so used to the mythfrontend interface.
mtbdrew
Senior
United States of America

Post by mtbdrew »

I have the Fire Cube 2nd Gen and get similar results. I have todays v32 Frontend, AudioTrack selected, 7.1 speakers HBR passthrough and with any of the Digital Audio Capabilities enabled the audio device is disabled on movie playback. However, if I deselect all (DD, DTS, E-AC-3, TrueHD and, DTS-HD) then the audio plays but my RCVR reports audio as PCM only. When using the Audio Configuration Testing option audio tone can be heard on all speakers with the capabilities checked but on movie playback get the Audio playback disabled reconfigure aborted.

"Correction" I can in fact have DD and E-AC-3 check and audio plays with RCVR showing PCM still.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

The latest Mythfrontend for Android fixed a 5.1 issue for me and the same fix also got fixed in the x86_64 version as well.https://dl.orangedox.com/pCBmBm/1EDBdM6 ... 1CwUC3jC3x
mtbdrew
Senior
United States of America

Post by mtbdrew »

I'm already using that version and it didn't help with 7.1 or 5.1 for me. I have not tried the 64bit only the 32bit version of v32
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

I don't put much faith in the mythfrontend audio test for 5.1. Sometimes it works sometimes not. On my old Denon AVR it shows Dolby Pro Logic until I start playing something that is 5.1, then it switches to saying either Dolby Digital or Muilti Channel in.
mtbdrew
Senior
United States of America

Post by mtbdrew »

Not for me. DTS, TrueHD or DTS-HD enabled and audio device get disabled on movie playback. With them off the audio plays but RCVR reports audio as PCM only.