any prebuilt images for RP3's or any up to date instructions ?

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
lobosolo
Newcomer
United States of America

any prebuilt images for RP3's or any up to date instructions ?

Post by lobosolo »

Hi, old timer here and I used to run mythtv on ubuntu 6 and then moved into mythbuntu and I think I finally left using Linhes.

So I was playing around with trying to get a backend setup on a Pi3 but so far all the instructions I have found error out or have not been updated and are not really working.

Is there any prebuilt images that can be flashed to an SD card and booted up with a working mythtv.

If not, is there any place that keeps an up top date set of instructions I can follow?

thanks for any help or guidance. I did search here and followed a few older guides but eventually gave up as they all error out at some point.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: any prebuilt images for RP3's or any up to date instructions ?

Post by jfabernathy »

I know of no images for RPI3. I tried to build one years ago, but no success. Even LibreELEC sucks on a RPI3. Not enough ram, no USB3. Once I had a RPI4 I made my RPI3 B+ into a Pi-Hole and OpenVPN server. It does okay with that.
Last edited by jfabernathy on Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
lobosolo
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by lobosolo »

ok thanks for the reply, I will grab a pi4 as soon as prices stabilize.
gedakc
Junior
Canada

Post by gedakc »

Two years ago I was able to run MythTV 31 backend on an RPi3. I was using Raspberry Pi OS lite and was testing an RPi4. At times when I needed the RPi4 for something else I swapped the SD card and USB HDD (used for recordings) from the RPi4 to the RPi3. The RPi3 was able to run the MythTV backend. However I was not able to reliably run both the frontend and the backend at the same time most likely due to the limited RAM as mentioned by Jim.

I wrote down my steps in Build a PVR using Raspberry Pi 4, MythTV, & HDHomeRun

See also MythTV: Raspberry Pi

If installing now I would use a MythTV Light package that works with the lastest Rasberry Pi OS lite.

Previously I had read that a person on a sailboat had successfully used an RPi2 as a low powered MythTV backend. A few other blogs mention running a MythTV backend on an RPi2.