Improving Video playback on RPI4 while using Desktop Env.

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Improving Video playback on RPI4 while using Desktop Env.

Post by jfabernathy »

I've been experimenting with how to improve video playback. It's not bad, but I keep thinking improvements are possible based on the hardware capabilities of the RPI4.

I got the idea for my changes while testing a combo MythTV FE/BE on EndeavourOS ARM with a KDE/Plasma Desktop Environment. To run Plasma on EOS ARM on a RPI4 you need to use X11 and not Wayland, and you need to turn off Compositor. Also on EOS ARM I could not successfully run from the Console like I could in RPI OS, but it worked fine on top of the Desktop Environment.

So I went back to my RPI OS 64 bit setup as I built using the instructions in my post:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4799
Then I used

Code: Select all

sudo raspi-config
to change:
1. Booting back to auto-login Desktop
2, In Advanced, disable Compositor

I think the video quality is at least as good running on top of the desktop as it was running from the console.

I am running the following setting to overclock:

Code: Select all

arm_freq=2000
over_voltage=6
gpu_freq=750
As an aside:
I really like what MythTV looks like on EOS ARM particularly with the Plasma Desktop Environment. I'm not a fan of the RPI OS DE and much prefer Plasma.

If anyone wants to experiment with EOS ARM on a RPI 4 they have a new installer that is very simple not unlike Raspberry PI Imager. Go to https://arm.endeavouros.com/ for help.

If anyone needs help putting MythTV on EOS, I have some scripts that help. LMK in comments.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: Improving Video playback on RPI4 while using Desktop Env.

Post by jfabernathy »

After some more testing I found that on some horizontal panning in a recording, I get some tearing in the playback when running mythfrontend while in the RPI OS Desktop Environment. I do not get the tearing when running on EndeavourOS ARM Plasma.

Still running no compositor and X11 on both.