Not believing what I'm seeing

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Not believing what I'm seeing

Post by jfabernathy »

On my Raspberry Pi 4 every since v31 on Buster I have had to use the console commands to launch mythfrontend with no Desktop Environment.

Well today on a test system with Bullseye 64bit in the Desktop Environment, I was testing Chromium Youtube video performance and vlc video performance it was all good. Not thinking about it I launched mythfrontend connected to my remote v31 production backend. The video was as good as from the console.

Next I went to my RPI4 that has Bullseye 64bit with a FE/BE combo running from mythtv master and started up to the Desktop Environment and ran mythfrontend. It was every bit as stable a picture as what I saw last week from the console.

Not sure what changed but I'm running all the latest Bullseye updates and the picture is great.

Anyone else having this experience?
jh15
Junior
United States of America

Re: Not believing what I'm seeing

Post by jh15 »

So the bottom line is my spare rpi4 4gig will be a perfect fe/be system? I am still running a full fledged PC, I'd love to get rid of it.
Panas 65" ZT60 plasma.
50" samsung DLP
4 attic antennas
4 HD Homeruns
RPi4's
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: Not believing what I'm seeing

Post by jfabernathy »

jh15 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:58 pm
So the bottom line is my spare rpi4 4gig will be a perfect fe/be system? I am still running a full fledged PC, I'd love to get rid of it.
It may be content specific, but for me 1080i or 720p HD OTA content in the USA seems to be fine. There's no question that the RPI4 with a USB3 SATA SSD makes a great backend. Using that with a FireTV 4K stick ($25) as a frontend is ideal. But the FE part of the RPI4 has gotten a lot better since Bullseye.

While I was surprised at the fact that you could run mythfrontend in the Desktop environment, I think it's better video quality is most cases run from the console. My production system is a remote backend on an old PC with RAID storage and a lot of it. All my frontends are FireTV or Nvidia Shield TVs. But I'm testing a RPI4 with a USB SSD as a combo FE/BE for my RV and I'm using the latest Master Pre32 version and it's great on the RPI4. I'm just testing running from the console now as I do think it is the best.