White screen after video playback

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
zachron
Newcomer
United States of America

White screen after video playback

Post by zachron »

Greetings,

just recently, in the last 2 weeks, on my mythfrontend (a remote frontend, raspberry pi, buster/bullseye (happens on both), 32 and 64 bit, v31) a white screen shows up when exiting video playback (but not recording playback), and the only way to get out of it, is to kill the frontend. it happens for some videos (it does not happen on all, just some) I have read through a similar looking topic on this forum, and have tried everything there, but i seems to be a different issue, as nothing there worked, and i am running the latest fixes/31 code (i built it), and that issue was fixed and it is still happening for me. Has anybody else seen this issue and/or has any idea how to fix it?

i posted this in troubleshooting too, but with further investigation i think this might be a raspberry pi specific issue, as i cannot replicate it anywhere else.

Thanks.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: White screen after video playback

Post by jfabernathy »

Are you running this under the Desktop environment or command line with NO DE. You need to run it from the console without a DE.

you need a script that starts the frontend with something like;

Code: Select all

QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1" QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs mythfrontend $ARGUMENTS
# fixup keyboard after exit from mythfrontend, bug in QT causes segment fault which kills keyboard input
kbd_mode -u
# restore cursor
setterm  --cursor on
I recommend getting the run_mythfrontend.sh scrip from pi-utils. That has been talked about in multiple places.
zachron
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by zachron »

jfabernathy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:40 pm
Are you running this under the Desktop environment or command line with NO DE. You need to run it from the console without a DE.

you need a script that starts the frontend with something like;

Code: Select all

QT_QPA_EGLFS_ALWAYS_SET_MODE="1" QT_QPA_PLATFORM=eglfs mythfrontend $ARGUMENTS
# fixup keyboard after exit from mythfrontend, bug in QT causes segment fault which kills keyboard input
kbd_mode -u
# restore cursor
setterm  --cursor on
I recommend getting the run_mythfrontend.sh scrip from pi-utils. That has been talked about in multiple places.
i am running it from the command line with no DE. i do start it with something similar, but not exactly the same as what you have above.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

The only time I've been stuck at a complete White Screen on the RPI4 is when I had a combo FE/BE that was on v31 and I had just built from source Pre-32 and when I started mythfrontend the screen was white and stayed that way. However, when I moved the direction arrows down and up, a message about the database needing to updated appeared.

Maybe your screen has a message you can't see and you need to play with the keyboard??

Also make sure you have a log file specified in the command line. What do you see there if you have verbose logging enabled?
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

I thought of one other thing to try. Yesterday out of curiosity, instead of running my console script to start mythfrontend on a Bullseye 64 bit system with Pre-32 Master running I did startx to get the DE environment running and then ran mythfrontend from a term there. It worked okay, but video playback was not as good as from the command like but it worked. Maybe you can try that just to see if the white screen goes away or a message appears?
zachron
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by zachron »

jfabernathy wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:32 am
Maybe your screen has a message you can't see and you need to play with the keyboard??
well its not freezing up the entire program, i played around with it a bit more, after exiting a video, and it gets stuck on the white screen, if i tell it to just start playing the video again, it will start playing it, and the white screen disappears while the video is playing again, but it returns once the video ends.
jfabernathy wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:32 am
Also make sure you have a log file specified in the command line. What do you see there if you have verbose logging enabled?
i turned on logging and when it happens it puts a bunch of what looks like code into the log, (it has a bunch of #ifdef and stuff in there, i dont have it handy right at the moment, cause i am unsure how much to paste, maybe ill just dump the entire log into a pastebin and post the url here)

Thanks for your help
zachron
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by zachron »

After looking through the attached debug log, i see where a white screen happens, when mythfrontend first opens up (line 117) and that one eventually disappears and i get the main menu, but the same thing seems to happen when i come out of watching a video (not a recording) at around line 1002 the white screen stays there forever.

i tried to submit a ticket on the tracker, but it just tells me i do not have privileges to do that. hopefully someone can help get this resolved. :)
Attachments
mythfrontend.20211202004620.717.log
(154.86 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

zachron wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:49 am
i tried to submit a ticket on the tracker, but it just tells me i do not have privileges to do that. hopefully someone can help get this resolved. :)
I think they are using github issues for reporting problem.https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues
zachron
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by zachron »

jfabernathy wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:01 am
I think they are using github issues for reporting problem.https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues
oh. ok i will try there then, the main mythtv.org still points to thier trac instance.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

Just a guess could be video memory starvation?

You could try a different theme, some themes require more resources than others for example some show cover art that can be memory intensive.
You could also try increasing the video memory available see if it makes a difference.
paulh
Developer
Great Britain

Post by paulh »

zachron wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:18 am
jfabernathy wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:01 am
oh. ok i will try there then, the main mythtv.org still points to thier trac instance.
The web admins have been made aware of the wrong link it will be fixed shortly.
zachron
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by zachron »

paulh wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:13 pm
Just a guess could be video memory starvation?

You could try a different theme, some themes require more resources than others for example some show cover art that can be memory intensive.
You could also try increasing the video memory available see if it makes a difference.
Its on a pi4, so at least according to the wiki, "gpu_mem adjustments are not required (at least for 1080p60 content) as the rpi4 has it's own video memory which is sufficient."

but i am willing to try whatever, so like 256M for the gpu?

also i did submit a ticket, on github
zachron
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by zachron »

zachron wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:57 pm
but i am willing to try whatever, so like 256M for the gpu?
upping the gpu memory to 256 made no difference.