MythTV on Bullseye - 32 bit or 64 bit

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

MythTV on Bullseye - 32 bit or 64 bit

Post by jfabernathy »

I didn't want to use a Beta OS unless I have to so I wanted to see if MythTV is better on the new Bullseye 32 bit or the beta 64 bit. So I setup some tests.

I have a RPI 4 with 4GB RAM and a USB3 to SATA SSD drive.The TV is a Sony FHD XBR6. The content is all USA OTA HD MPEG2 1080i or 720p. The tuners are HDHomeRun Quatro.

Visually I could not tell any difference in any of the configuration. Based on FPS +/- bounce I found that it made no difference between 32 and 64 bit.

However, comparing the latest release, v31, and v32-Pre (Master) there was a difference in the FPS +/- bounce.

v31 0.06 - 0.27

V32-Pre 0.01 - 0.21

By comparison watching the same recording using v32-Pre on a Intel 11th Gen NUC Core i7 the FPS +/- is 0.02 steady.

Visually I can't tell any difference in the pictures on any of the setups. Which is very different from use V31 on Buster 32 bits last spring.

If you would like to test this yourself without having to build from source, I have the mythtv-light deb files on my Google Drive. After the Orangebox site has the official stuff for Bullseye, I'll be deleting these.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
gedakc
Junior
Canada

Re: MythTV on Bullseye - 32 bit or 64 bit

Post by gedakc »

Thank you Jim for testing this out and sharing your findings. Also a big thanks for posting the .deb files. I downloaded the mythtv-light_31.0-167-g25f1bb1d12-0_armhf_bullseye.deb package with the plan to try it out in the new year when I have some free time -- way too busy right now.