freeze when exit recordings

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

freeze when exit recordings

Post by Linuxgrrl »

I have a fresh install of mythtv light on Raspbian buster. As per the wiki I switched to matchbox window manager and use .xsession to start mythfrontend. I also did the audio adjustments in the wiki to deal with excessively low audio volume, so my .xsession has some asound commands in it also.

Myth often freezes when I exit recordings. These are HD recordings, and the quality itself looks pretty good. Even the mythtv test recording, which looks great, freezes on exit. I have to use REISUB to get out of it. Keyboard does not respond to ctrl-alt-del. The problem seems to have gotten worse since I am troubleshooting audio ... there is a rumbling distorted sound although I can still hear the audio. Now that I am switching audio devices to test different things, the recordings freeze 100% of the time on exit.

Does anyone know what this could be or where to look?
TIA.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: freeze when exit recordings

Post by jfabernathy »

Not sure if this is your problem, but I know if you setup the RPI using the pi-utils that mike did https://github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils, there is a fix for an exception on exit that is a QT problem that is still not fixed. If you follow his pi-utils method you end up running for the console with run_mythfrontend.sh and the exit error is recovered from.
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

Thank you, that might be my problem. I guess I would have to undo what I've done so far (matchbox, xsession, etc) to use Mike's method.

Relatedly, is there any key combination to jump from mythfrontend to a terminal? When I run startx, mythfrontend starts (desired behavior). When I select "exit" to leave myth, it restarts mythfrontend.

To get to a terminal I have to select "exit and shutdown" and then restart the pi. It's a little annoying when troubleshooting to have to always be restarting.

I tried the obvious like alt+f2 but that does seem to do anything.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

If you use Mike's method just comment out the run_mythfrontend.sh in the .bashrc file. Then it boots to console. You can startx or run_mythfrontend.sh. Exiting mythtv or Desktop Environment takes you to console
Linuxgrrl
Junior
United States of America

Post by Linuxgrrl »

Thanks! To my happy surprise, Mike's run_mythfrontend.sh worked fine for me on a stand-alone basis even though I didn't take any of the other Mike steps. It seems to have cured the freeze-on-exit problem.

In case this helps anyone else: I've noticed that several other people, like me, were unable to find an audio device in Myth with a name like ALSA:IEC958 for the HDMI as directed in the wiki. This left me fooling around with the Pi's headphone jack and associated cracks, pops, rumbles, etc (even with the fixes suggested by the wiki).

Well, when I scrolled more carefully through the audio devices, I noted that a description for each one pops up in the lower pane. For one of the devices (it had dw in the title), the description mentioned HDMI. Sure enough that was the right one for digital sound.

I'm not sure how to get this info into the wiki but I'm happy to write to whomever should have it.
gedakc
Junior
Canada

Post by gedakc »

> I'm not sure how to get this info into the wiki but I'm happy to write to whomever should have it.

Thanks @Linuxgrrl for offering to help update the MythTV wiki.

If I recall when I requested access I used the registration section on the MythTV Wiki. Back then there were problems with SPAM so I had to contact someone in MythTV IRC to inform them of the access request.