FYI on USB3 boot on RPi4

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

FYI on USB3 boot on RPi4

Post by jfabernathy »

I've been playing with mythtv combo FE/BE on my RPI4 and have been following the work on getting USB3 boot to work from the raspberry pi forum.

They now (2020-8-20) have updated the raspberry pi OS (32bit) image with all the latest boot from USB stuff. So copying from the SD card is not needed.

I plugged in my USB3 to SATA adapter with my SSD connected and use the Raspberry Pi imager to flash the image directly to the SSD. It booted because I had previously updated my bootloader in the rpi-eeprom so it would try booting from USB if no SD card was installed.

Worked great and it saved a lot of time.
TheRealRoland
Junior
United States of America

Re: FYI on USB3 boot on RPi4

Post by TheRealRoland »

Last night i got this to work as well. One more step i needed to do was a full update on the firmware. Even though the date of the firmware was 03 sept 2020, no matter what image i used on my USB3 SSD, it would not boot up that image.

So i needed to do one full update of the firmware to the very latest version. And that made it work without issues.

Am now configuring mythtv 0.31, running into a couple of issues, i've posted something about that in the general Troubleshooting area, since it's not pi4 related.

Have fun, everybody!

Roland