V31.0-54 audio problems

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

V31.0-54 audio problems

Post by jfabernathy »

on my RPI4 FE/BE combo I'm having audio problems. It's random as to whether or not 5.1 works. I have my HDMI connector closest to the power connector plugged into my A/V receiver and the AVR plugged into the TV.

If I choose ALSA:default:card=b1 and Stereo and do the speaker test, I get Audio Device is invalid or hot useable.

If I choose ALSA:hw:CARD=B1,DEV=0 and Stereo and do the speaker test, it works.

If I choose ALSA:hw:CARD=B1,DEV=0 and 5.1 with Dolby and DTS selected, I get a spitting motor boat sound.
Then if I deselect Dolby and DTS and then set Stereo I get Audio device is invalid or not useable.

If I exit setup and play LiveTV it's correct but Stereo.

Next I assumed that maybe the speaker test was an issue, so I choose ALSA:hw:CARD=B1,DEV=0 and 5.1 with Dolby and DTS selected. I went to live tv and got the spittle motorboat sound. I went back to setup and selected Stereo and still got the bad sound on livetv. Next I went to setup and also deselected DTS and Dolby even though I was in stereo and it worked in Live TV.

So in summary 5.1 does not work for me. And Stereo doesn't work if DTS and Dolby are selected.

I have a PC with an Nvidia GFX card connected to another port of the same AVR/TV and do not have any 5.1 issues with it.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Re: V31.0-54 audio problems

Post by jfabernathy »

sorry forgot link to log file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QvqIno ... sp=sharing

Lots of audio mixer errors.
monkeypet
Junior
United States of America

Post by monkeypet »

I was able to get it working use the https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Audio creating the .asoundrc file as directed. Using 5.1 passthrough via HDMI to a bose amp.
bigdarkspot
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by bigdarkspot »

I have the same motorboat issue whenever I try to enable surround passthrough (DTS or Dolby Digital). I don't get the invalid error, but i have temporarily resigned myself to watching TV in stereo instead of surround.

I've tried the .asoundrc suggestion, but it doesn't work (the ALSA:mythtv device doesn't show up in the list of options). The other weird thing is that the ALSA:IEC958 doesn't show up on the main audio setup page, but under advanced/separate digital output device, it does show up, but doesn't work.

I'm using a Pioneer receiver that supports both Dolby Digital and DTS.
jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy »

monkeypet wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:41 pm
I was able to get it working use the https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi#Audio creating the .asoundrc file as directed. Using 5.1 passthrough via HDMI to a bose amp.
I tried this over the weekend and I could not get the "mythtv" audio device created by the .asoundrc file to show up in mythfrontend -> Setup -> audio.
Eauwwooo
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Eauwwooo »

jfabernathy wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:23 am
monkeypet wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:41 pm
I tried this over the weekend and I could not get the "mythtv" audio device created by the .asoundrc file to show up in mythfrontend -> Setup -> audio.
Same here. Adding the .asoundrc file had no effect for me. I'm running HDMI from my RPi4 to the TV with an optical cable to my receiver. This works fine on the same TV with my Ubuntu frontend/backend PC (in the same configuration) so I don't see it being a hardware issue.