Pi 4-4GB is truly a capable host for the backend.

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
jeff_mythtv
Newcomer
United States of America

Pi 4-4GB is truly a capable host for the backend.

Post by jeff_mythtv »

About ten days ago I asked for help, viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3699, and I got it.

After running this pi-4 4GB for the last week, I can say that this piece of hardware is indeed a capable one to host the backend.

Originally I ran MythBuntun 14.04 on a lenovo ts140 server. Everything was fine. I don't keep it on all the time. It boots up whenever the front end (OPENELEC on pi-2) asks for it. After all, ts140 has a 280watt power supply. So I made the move and it works well.

I have two 2TB SATA hard drives attached to one USB3 and a USB2 port. Together there are 3 TB of ots programs, some of them are sport programs like French Open.

For some reason I don't remember, the 2015 French Open Men's Semi's 3 hours program is as big as 60G. So I had a hard time to play it on pi, it just keeps buffering. At first I thought it was the usb performance related (it wasn't as fast as I though), it could also be a corrupted file. So I took it back to the ts140 and convert it to h264. Now the size is down to 10G. I put it back to pi. It runs as smooth as a mpg2. What can I say!

I did notice the usb performance in/out is around 30M/s as the ts140 rcp to another box can achieve ~110M/s. Now it plays well, I would say the usb performance is sufficient enough, and the fullness of the hard drives wouldn't cause any issue either.

Last, I want to thank everyone who responded to my original question, your inputs definitely helped me to get this done. I am happy. Thank you!