[SOLVED] Cannot play files from existing backend: Failed to open socket, error was malformed_ann_query

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
zetoune
Newcomer
Canada

[SOLVED] Cannot play files from existing backend: Failed to open socket, error was malformed_ann_query

Post by zetoune »

I've searched for this issue and the only answers I found would because of different versions.

Backend: Ubuntu 18.04 (Old Mythbuntu upgraded to 0.30 with APT)

Code: Select all

$ mythbackend --version
Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
MythTV Version : v30.0
MythTV Branch :
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 30.20181231-1
QT Version : 5.9.5

Frontend: Raspberry Pi (Buster and MythTV Light)

$ mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v30.0-60-gb9c1b41a6c
MythTV Branch : fixes/30
QT Version : 5.11.3
Network protocol and Library API are the same, so I guess it should work.

Any ideas someone?

Edit:
See solution below -> viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3481&p=16827#p16852.
Last edited by zetoune on Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Cannot play files from existing backend: Failed to open socket, error was malformed_ann_query

Post by pgbennett »

mythtv light will show something like this on raspberry pi (see below). Your display does not include the full version or the branch. Perhaps you do not have mythtv-light or it was built in the wrong way. Run dpkg --list to see what packages were installed. Perhaps you installed a mythfrontend from the default repositories.

pi@viper:~ $ mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v30.0-19-g5100ef5870
QT Version : 5.7.1
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_openmax using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xnvctrl using_xnvctrl_external using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_opengles using_openmax using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2
zetoune
Newcomer
Canada

Re: Cannot play files from existing backend: Failed to open socket, error was malformed_ann_query

Post by zetoune »

It is MythTV Light.
I removed the `options compiled` on purpose.
But here it is the full output:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : v30.0-60-gb9c1b41a6c
QT Version : 5.11.3
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_openmax using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xnvctrl using_xnvctrl_external using_libbluray_external using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_systemd_notify using_systemd_journal using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_openmax using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2

Compared to yours, MythTV & QT Version are more recent on mine.

I saw I made a mistake in my original post. First output is my Backend output, second one is the Raspberry PI output.
The backend has been upgraded with `ppa:mythbuntu/30`
zetoune
Newcomer
Canada

Post by zetoune »

I have just checked and my Backend is using the latest commit of fixes/30

myth-tv@mythtv-primary-backend:~$ sudo apt-cache policy mythtv-backend-master
mythtv-backend-master:
  Installed: 2:30.0+fixes.201912012038.a27754a~ubuntu18.04.1
  Candidate: 2:30.0+fixes.201912012038.a27754a~ubuntu18.04.1

From GitHub
Latest commit in fixes/30: commit

a27754ae7f7ec04f6046fcfd61e336986dc2c750
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

I think the most likely reason is an invalid system name for your raspberry pi, in particular a system name with spaces in it.

On the frontend machine (raspberry pi)
Look at /etc/hostname and make sure it has a single word and no spaces.
If that is correct, look at $HOME/.mythtv/config.xml and look for the line <LocalHostName>
It must be either this EXACTLY
<LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>
or
<LocalHostName>xxxxxxxx</LocalHostName>
where xxxxxxxx is a single word with no spaces.

When you have the special string my-unique-identifier-goes-here then it uses the name from /etc/hostname, otherwise it uses the name from config.xml.

If this does not solve it, look in your backend log for a message Received malformed ANN%1 query and see what value is given after ANN.
zetoune
Newcomer
Canada

Post by zetoune »

Hi pgbennett,
pgbennett wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:39 pm
I think the most likely reason is an invalid system name for your raspberry pi, in particular a system name with spaces in it.
You were totally right. That was it. I usually never use space in names but there was one.

Thank you very much