Re: Backend on Pi 4

Post by MikeB2013 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:00 pm

MikeB2013 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:52 pm
knappster wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 pm
MikeB2013 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:40 pm
For commercial flagging there is an open ticket https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13476

Mike
Thanks for the heads up. Out of curiosity is this because the pi4 doesn't have hardware mpeg2 decoding? I have a pi3 with the mpeg2 license, so if I configure it as a slave backend, would it be able to run the commercial flagging or is it broken across the board on pis?
As far as I know it affects all Pi's. The trac ticket includes pi3 on mythtv-light 30 (I am not aware of any significant changes to commercial flagging between mythtv 30 and 31)

Mike
The above ticket is now closed as commercial flagging is no longer giving error code 140 on Pi4 for mythtv fixes/31 and master branches.

knappster
Junior
United States of America

Post by knappster » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:30 pm

Thanks for the update. Would it be silly of me to consider trying to upgrade to v31 a "slave backend" using mythjobqueue instead of mythbackend while leaving the master backend v30? I use kodi on a shield as my main frontend and I'm not certain of compatibility with v31 yet...

jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:41 pm

In my playing with RPi4 4GB on v31 I found that using it as just a backend and using either the Shield TV or FireTV 4K was just fine. No issues for me but I didn't test commercial Flagging.

Now that my production backend is on V31 and not causing any issues, I've got time to do more RPi4 testing. Certainly can't go to a bar/pub for a while.

If however you need as I do for my camper as combo FE/BE I'd stay with V30 until V31 is more mature on RPi4. But then again I don't use Commercial flagging very often.

If I setup the RPi4 as a backend only with Commercial flagging and h.264 transcoding from MPEG2 that would be a good test. I can test the frontend part with Kodi, Leanfront, or Mythfrontend on Shield.

Jim A

knappster
Junior
United States of America

Post by knappster » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:54 am

I went ahead and decided to test whether or not it would be silly for me to run mythjobqueue on rpi3 mythtv-light v31 while my pi4 runs mythbackend on mythtv-light v30. I just ran a test for a commercial detection job on the rpi3 and it seemed to work fine. My concern at the moment is that the passively cooled cpu temp went from an idle of maybe 50C to 81+C. While it has built-in protection to prevent overheating, I think I'll rest better at night if I get a fan cooled case...

jfabernathy
Senior
United States of America

Post by jfabernathy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:33 pm

jfabernathy wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:41 pm
In my playing with RPi4 4GB on v31 I found that using it as just a backend and using either the Shield TV or FireTV 4K was just fine. No issues for me but I didn't test commercial Flagging.

Now that my production backend is on V31 and not causing any issues, I've got time to do more RPi4 testing. Certainly can't go to a bar/pub for a while.

If however you need as I do for my camper as combo FE/BE I'd stay with V30 until V31 is more mature on RPi4. But then again I don't use Commercial flagging very often.

If I setup the RPi4 as a backend only with Commercial flagging and h.264 transcoding from MPEG2 that would be a good test. I can test the frontend part with Kodi, Leanfront, or Mythfrontend on Shield.

Jim A
So I setup my RPi4 with V31 built from source. I kept the number of background jobs at 1 using low priority. I had overlapping recordings so three were recording at the same time and 2 ended and I assume metadata lookup and commercial flagging started sequentially on those while the 3rd continue recording. This morning I checked out the resulting recordings. They all looked good and had some commercials detected. I watch the recording, carefully, that was being recorded while the first 2 were being processed in background and there were no issues with the quality of the recording that I could see. I used an RP3B+ running LibreELEC with Kodi-pvr-mythtv to watch the programs.

So RPi4 as a backend with commercial detection works fine. However, I have not gotten transcoding working yet and I tried running Handbrake to convert an MPEG2 OTA recording to .m4v. It worked but forget it. Took 4 hours for a 20 minute segment of a program. I don't do this much so won't miss it.

knappster
Junior
United States of America

Post by knappster » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:06 pm

knappster wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:54 am
I went ahead and decided to test whether or not it would be silly for me to run mythjobqueue on rpi3 mythtv-light v31 while my pi4 runs mythbackend on mythtv-light v30. I just ran a test for a commercial detection job on the rpi3 and it seemed to work fine. My concern at the moment is that the passively cooled cpu temp went from an idle of maybe 50C to 81+C. While it has built-in protection to prevent overheating, I think I'll rest better at night if I get a fan cooled case...
A case with fan arrived yesterday. When hooked to 3.3v it drops the idle temp to about 43C and each commflagging job raises it about 10C. I ran one at about 53C and three got up to 73C. I think I can unplug the old athlon machine now :). This has come a long way since I first tried mythtv-light 0.27 as a frontend on rpi3.

bonelifer
Junior
United States of America

Post by bonelifer » Fri May 01, 2020 8:55 pm

After reading this topic, I feel good about the progress made with MythTV on RPi4. Thanks to mike and the people behind mythtv-lite. Should be fun when I'm able to order and receive a new Pi.