Adding capture card to backend running mythtv light

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
dmshimself
Newcomer
New Zealand

Adding capture card to backend running mythtv light

Post by dmshimself »

Hi - I am using a older pi to act as a backend to record. I've used a pi 2 previously to do this just fine with Ubuntu, but that will not run on older Pis. So I took the opportunity to install mythtv light on a stretch and try that. All is well until I try to add a capture card. When I do that, mythtv-setup runs continuously with no errors, but never comes back to let me enter the type of card. (I left it to run overnight).

Any thoughts appreciated.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Adding capture card to backend running mythtv light

Post by pgbennett »

How much memory does that machine have? If it is an older pi it may have only 512M. If there is insufficient memory and it starts swapping then it can take forever. Try running top and see whether swap space is being used. If it is swapping, make sure you reduce the gpu memory to the minimum possible to give more memory to the application. Are you running MySql on the same machine? That will also take a lot of memory.
dmshimself
Newcomer
New Zealand

Re: Adding capture card to backend running mythtv light

Post by dmshimself »

It has 512M and it does have a swap of space of 778235 according to top, but only 42240 is being used. Top shows very little usage in terms of CPu or anything else. No mysql. I know I was pushing it a bit on these older models. On a B with ubuntu the full mythtv backend to just record came up fine. I shall indeed reduce the gpu memory, although even leaving mythtv-setup to run overnight doesn't seem to help. I shall what else I can find...

Thanks for the advice