Roku TV & MythTV

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
rcarballo
Junior
United States of America

Roku TV & MythTV

Post by rcarballo »

I got Roku TV a couple of weeks ago and I'm having an issue with MythTV for Raspberry PI-3. The keyboard interface dies after several hours of non-use. In other words, the FLIRC interface stops working. Something else that I noticed is that one cannot connect to it via VNC. When I ping its IP, there is no response back from it. The only solution is to reboot the RPi.

I have turned off the powersave feature in MythTV. Nothing else is running on this RPi and it has been updated to the latest.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Roku TV & MythTV

Post by pgbennett »

I don't know about FLIRC. I am using an Ortek remote, which emulates a keyboard, and it runs for weeks without reboot and without losing the interface.

For connecting to the RPI I use ssh, which can easily be enabled on the Raspberry Pi. You can run mythfrontend and other programs remotely with ssh.

If the Raspberry Pi loses connection to the keyboard and the network, i would suspect the power supply. Some USB power supplies are inadequate for the Raspberry Pi. You need a power supply that delivers at least 2A.
rcarballo
Junior
United States of America

Post by rcarballo »

I'm not sure that it's the power supply since the RPi was working fine with the prior TV. The only change is that it's hooked up to a new TV.
I have 2 other RPis configured exactly like the failing one. I will try them and report back.
rcarballo
Junior
United States of America

Post by rcarballo »

It looks like there is an issue with MythTV and this Roku TV. The issue shows up the morning after the MythTV is left running and the Roku TV is off.

Two nights ago I plugged in another RPi + MythTV (new power supply) and I got the same result the following morning: No response from the RPi. I issued a ping to the RPi and it did not respond at all while MythTV was running.

Last night I ran another test. This time I shut down MythTV and left the RPi running overnight while the Roku TV was off. This morning I did a ping and it responded. I then used my VNC client to connect and it connected.
rcarballo
Junior
United States of America

Re: Roku TV & MythTV (SOLVED)

Post by rcarballo »

It seems that the latest Raspbian update to the RPi has caused problems to the X-server.

PROBLEM: All of my RPIs running Raspbian + MythTV stop responding when left running overnight and the TV is turned off. This problem showed up on both of my TVs. I have 3 RPIs configured identically. They all get no response to remote's clicks and no network when left running overnight.

SOLUTION: install X-server's default screensaver. Simply open a console and type, "sudo apt-get install xscreensaver". Go to Preferences->Screensaver and turn it off.

I got up this morning and turned on the TVs. MythTV responds to my remote's clicks and has network access.
dlinvill
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by dlinvill »

I saw the same issue with a Raspbian pi3 on a new Roku TV. Overnight the pi would become unresponsive to IR or keyboard commands and the HDMI output seemed frozen. SSH access worked but nothing short of a reboot would change what was displayed on screen. I did not come up with a solution and ended up moving it back to another TV.

The pi3 had been running on another TV with the same 2.5amp power supply without issues.

Edit - I just saw your timely update and I will try the screensaver solution.
rcarballo
Junior
United States of America

Post by rcarballo »

I tell you that this problem also affected even my Samsung TV which is about a year old. What you described is exactly what was happening with RPIs.

First sign of trouble was the screen would go blank. I finally disabled the screen blanking but the RPIs would become unresponsive as you described. They used not do that before I updated the Raspbian OS. I concluded that it had to be connected with X-server's power-saving crap. My last resort was the screensaver. It worked.