Best USB TV tuner for a Raspberry Pi 3 B?

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
leopheard
Newcomer
United States of America

Best USB TV tuner for a Raspberry Pi 3 B?

Post by leopheard »

Hi all,

I'm new to the MythTV platform and would like to setup a backend DVR thing using a Raspberry Pi 3. I am already using Kodi on the Pi2 I have setup and I understand that will act as an okay frontend.

I was wondering, what's the best USB TV tuner to use? I've seen loads advertised, but are there any decent ones with multiple tuners built in and preferably a connection to add an extender onto? I'm in the USA btw as I know the freeview is on a different band etc.

I don't mind spending a little more for better signal, more functionality, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leo
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Best USB TV tuner for a Raspberry Pi 3 B?

Post by pgbennett »

Bear in mind the raspberry pi has a limited bandwidth. If you put an external drive on a USB connection, then the tuners, network and disk drive will all be sharing 480 Mb/s. I don't know if there are drivers for all USB devices in Raspbian. I don't know if 1 GB of main memory is enough for backend and database. Generally I do not recommend a raspberry Pi as a backend. It works well as a frontend. If you do get it working I would be interested in knowing how well it works. I believe some people are using a Raspberry Pi backend with network tuners, such as HD Homerun. In that case you do not have to worry about the availability of drivers.
flyingfox
Newcomer
Australia

Re: Best USB TV tuner for a Raspberry Pi 3 B?

Post by flyingfox »

Hi Leo,

The Hauppage WinTV DualHD tuners work really well for me (DVB).

I migrated my 4 year old mythtv setup to raspberry pi a few weeks ago. I have found the WinTV DualHD to work very well for mythtv on the RPI3. I purchased two of them (for a total of 4 DVB tuners) and run them both from a single raspberry pi 3 running my backend (mythtv-light). Recordings are saved over network to my Synology NAS.

The second tuner on the WinTV DualHD are not recognised by the linux kernel by default, but this is easily fixed (patch and compile kernel) following the instructions from Puffin Chunks (see post number 24 on https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/2867- ... /?pageNo=2).

As others have noted, the rpi3 is probably under-resourced to run the database as well as the backend - so I run a MariaDB on my Synology NAS (DS416play) and use that as my mythtv database - a neat solution - if you have an appropriate NAS.

I've been running my frontend in the loungeroom on an rpi3 for some months now (like a dongle on the back of the TV). Backend and NAS are in my study. The whole system works beautifully - including using the TV remote to control mythtv by CEC. TV guide is by EIT capture which all works smoothly with the DualHD tuners (my old hauppage pcie tuner cards were unreliable at EIT capture).

I should also take the opportunity to thank Isaac (originally) and all the mythtv volunteers since. My kids have grown up with mythtv (since 2003) - meaning they have barely been exposed to television advertisements and we could schedule TV time on weekends without them missing out on their favourite shows from the week. Of course - that kind of time shifting is very common now - but was pretty revolutionary back then.

And - they all love the new setup with the RPis and the NAS :-). No PC boxes left in the house now - and less cables and a lower power bill.

Cheers,
Glenn.
leopheard wrote:Hi all,

I'm new to the MythTV platform and would like to setup a backend DVR thing using a Raspberry Pi 3. I am already using Kodi on the Pi2 I have setup and I understand that will act as an okay frontend.

I was wondering, what's the best USB TV tuner to use? I've seen loads advertised, but are there any decent ones with multiple tuners built in and preferably a connection to add an extender onto? I'm in the USA btw as I know the freeview is on a different band etc.

I don't mind spending a little more for better signal, more functionality, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leo