Frontend not playing Live TV or recordings [SOLVED]

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
rcarballo
Junior
United States of America

Frontend not playing Live TV or recordings [SOLVED]

Post by rcarballo »

I just installed mythFrontEnd on the latest Raspbian (Jessie) and I just cannot get the FrontEnd to play recordings or Live TV. I am very familiar with mythTV (v0.28) as I use it with OpenELEC (two RPi3s) w/o any problems. My MythServer is running on a VM on my MacMini. I also have a mythFrontEnd on my iMAC. They all work flawlessly. I loaded mythFrontEnd on the Raspbian to test the interface.

I have the log but it doesn't say much. I purchased the MPEG2 and VC1 keys like I've done with the other RPis running OpenELEC. I have no problems with the OpenELECs but this frontend on the Raspbian just shuts down w/o any error message. I click on a recording or channel to play and it shuts down. Log shows nothing.

So, I loaded PLEX Server on the Raspbian to see if I can play my recordings via my PLEX Server (I wrote a script that pushes the MythTV's recordings to a PLEX server). I load the web interface to the PLEX server and I play my recordings. No problems. Zero.

I'm at a dead-end. Any suggestions?

/Antonio
Last edited by rcarballo on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Frontend not playing Live TV or recordings

Post by pgbennett »

How did you install Myth Frontend? I recommend mythtv-light (see https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythTV_Light).

Is it getting a segmentation fault? Try running mythfrontend from a terminal window and see if you get an error message that way.

Which playback profile did you select? Did you follow the setup instructions (see https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi)?

Are you running anything else on the Raspberry Pi at the same time? If so you may be running out of memory.

Normally MythTV frontend works very well on Raspberry Pi.
rcarballo
Junior
United States of America

Re: Frontend not playing Live TV or recordings

Post by rcarballo »

I installed MythFrontEnd Light using the link provided.
No segmentation fault. It just exists when I try to play a recording or a channel.
Problem showed up before I installed PLEX. I uninstalled PLEX and problem still exist.
Nothing else is running on the RPi.

Let me modify the profile and get back to you. It could be the problem.

/Antonio
rcarballo
Junior
United States of America

Re: Frontend not playing Live TV or recordings [SOLVED]

Post by rcarballo »

The problem was the profile for the video playback was set to "Normal". I set it to "OpenMAX High Quality" and that fixed the problem. Thanks for the feedback.

/AC