Raspberry Pi 3, Vizio, and CEC

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
ricks03
Junior
United States of America

Raspberry Pi 3, Vizio, and CEC

Post by ricks03 »

I have a brand new MythTV .28 frontend set up on Raspberian, connected via HDMI to my Vizio TV.

I'd like to be able to use the Vizio remote. I have CEC enabled on the Vizio config, and the main arrows work for skip forward/back, jump forward/back, but no other button on the remote appears to do anything. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rick
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Re: Raspberry Pi 3, Vizio, and CEC

Post by pgbennett »

Go into the MythTV Frontend Setup, and select "Edit Keys". Using this feature you can assign any button on your remote to any operation in MythTV.

Start in Global on the left, select "Escape" on the right, arrow to an empty box at the bottom, press enter. When it prompts to Press a Key, press to "back" or "stop" on your remote and see if it is recognized. If it is, it will ask if you want to add the key. Repeat the process for the "Select" Action. You can go into TV Frontend and TV Playback to assign keys like Play, Pause, FWD, etc.

Unfortunately, many keys on your remote may not be passed through by the TV. That is up to how the TV manufacturer supports CEC. You can try pressing all of the buttons on the remote while in key assignment to find out which are recognized.
ricks03
Junior
United States of America

Re: Raspberry Pi 3, Vizio, and CEC

Post by ricks03 »

Thanks, looks like my remote only supports up, down, left, right, enter, and esc.

But at least now I know.