mythfrontend 0.28 Setup Save Segfaults on Raspberry Pi 3

For discussion of topics specific to MythTV on Raspberry Pi devices
LdotN
Newcomer
United States of America

mythfrontend 0.28 Setup Save Segfaults on Raspberry Pi 3

Post by LdotN »

Has anyone experienced, or have suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
Fresh load of Jessie, apt-get update and upgrade applied.

Fresh build of Mythtv 0.28, No errors.
mythfrontend starts setup, choose language, click save, then segfaults.

I run with gdb and get the following stack trace after the segfault:

Code: Select all

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x70a71968 in _int_free (av=0x0, p=0x7effef60, have_lock=1996487348) at malloc.c:3943
3943    malloc.c: No such file or directory.

(gdb) where
#0  0x70a71968 in _int_free (av=0x0, p=0x7effef60, have_lock=1996487348) at malloc.c:3943
#1  0x000cd188 in __gnu_cxx::new_allocator<QWidget*>::deallocate (this=0x7effef1c, __p=0x7effef68)
    at /usr/include/c++/4.9/ext/new_allocator.h:110
#2  0x000cca94 in std::allocator_traits<std::allocator<QWidget*> >::deallocate (__a=..., __p=0x7effef68, __n=65)
    at /usr/include/c++/4.9/bits/alloc_traits.h:383
#3  0x000cc094 in std::_Vector_base<QWidget*, std::allocator<QWidget*> >::_M_deallocate (this=0x7effef1c,
    __p=0x7effef68, __n=65) at /usr/include/c++/4.9/bits/stl_vector.h:178
#4  0x000ca970 in std::_Vector_base<QWidget*, std::allocator<QWidget*> >::~_Vector_base (this=0x7effef1c,
    __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at /usr/include/c++/4.9/bits/stl_vector.h:160
#5  0x000c98c8 in std::vector<QWidget*, std::allocator<QWidget*> >::~vector (this=0x7effef1c,
    __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at /usr/include/c++/4.9/bits/stl_vector.h:425
#6  0x000c88dc in VerticalConfigurationGroup::~VerticalConfigurationGroup (this=0x7effeed8, __in_chrg=<optimized out>)
    at ../../libs/libmyth/mythconfiggroups.h:95
#7  0x002c8304 in GallerySettings::~GallerySettings (this=0x7effeed8, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at galleryconfig.h:12
#8  0x002c8358 in GallerySettings::~GallerySettings (this=0x7effeed8, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at galleryconfig.h:12
#9  0x7479e7d0 in ConfigurationDialog::exec (this=0x7effeed8, saveOnAccept=true, doLoad=true)
    at mythconfigdialogs.cpp:98
#10 0x747aae28 in MythContextPrivate::PromptForDatabaseParams (this=0x3e3250, error=...) at mythcontext.cpp:586
#11 0x747a85a0 in MythContextPrivate::FindDatabase (this=0x3e3250, prompt=false, noAutodetect=false)
    at mythcontext.cpp:422
#12 0x747a7f44 in MythContextPrivate::Init (this=0x3e3250, gui=true, promptForBackend=false, noPrompt=false,
    ignoreDB=false) at mythcontext.cpp:300
#13 0x747b060c in MythContext::Init (this=0x3d6450, gui=true, promptForBackend=false, disableAutoDiscovery=false,
    ignoreDB=false) at mythcontext.cpp:1182
#14 0x00069f74 in main (argc=1, argv=0x7efff754) at main.cpp:1778

Any help/pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks.
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Re: mythfrontend 0.28 Setup Save Segfaults on Raspberry Pi 3

Post by dizygotheca »

How fresh ?

mythfrontend --version
Looks like https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12735 that was fixed 12 days ago.
That's a nice stack dump that would have helped fix it sooner;)

A simple way to avoid the issue is to set up ~/.mythtv/config.xml so that the frontend can find the database without needing to show the country/language screens.
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Config.xml
LdotN
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by LdotN »

Version info below:

mythfrontend --version
Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
MythTV Version : 3543e74
MythTV Branch : tag: v0.28
Network Protocol : 88
Library API : 0.28.20160309-1
QT Version : 5.3.2
Options compiled in:
linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_opengles using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg
LdotN
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by LdotN »

I reinstalled from the latest version from git which solved the segfault problem.
Now it produces an error cant find EGL config.
Cant find EGLConfig, returning null config
Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config 0
Could not initialize OpenGL for RasterGLSurface, reverting to RasterSurface.

mythfrontend --version
MythTV Version : 8891046
MythTV Branch : HEAD -> master
Network Protocol : 91
Library API : 29.20160714-1
QT Version : 5.3.2
Options compiled in:
linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_php using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libdns_sd using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_themepainter using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_profiletype using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_opengles using_openmax using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

You can ignore that error, it happens all the time but does not affect the usage of the system. Is it causing you a problem?
LdotN
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by LdotN »

The frontend never gets past setting the database configuration screens 1 and 2.

mythfrontend
The very first time the Set language screen appeared as usual, and I hit save.
I set the backend address on the set database config 1/2 screen, click next.
Database config 2/2 screen appears and I click finish
Window closes , reopens at the database config 1/2 screen again.
It outputs a bunch of messages
Unable to find an X11 visual which matches EGL config 0
Could not initialize OpenGL for RasterGLSurface, reverting to RasterSurface.
The reopens window again at database config 1/2
Never really starts up the frontend.

I was assuming the error messages provided a clue.

BTW, I built and installed the same version of mythtv on an x86 box running OpenSUSE Leap 42.1 and it works fine.

Thanks,
dizygotheca
Developer
Great Britain

Post by dizygotheca »

Sounds like it just can't find/connect to the database.
Can you pastebin your mythfrontend log ?
LdotN
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by LdotN »

I found the problem.
The log showed it was failing the ping test. Non-root user didn't have permissions to execute ping.
I haven't yet tried to play content but the frontend is at least running now.

Thank you for your help.
martynbottomley
Junior
Great Britain

Post by martynbottomley »

Hi,

I have had the same problem i.e. ping test fail.

Could someone kindly advise how to fix the Non-root user permissions on the Raspberry Pi
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

Check where ping is found on your system

pi@eagle2 ~ $ which ping
/bin/ping
Check the permissions of ping

pi@eagle2 ~ $ ls -l /bin/ping
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 38844 Feb 12  2014 /bin/ping
If it starts with rwx instead of rws you could try setting it as follows

chmod u+s /bin/ping
Manhole
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Manhole »

I'm not quite as linux technical as some others in this thread, so please forgive me if this should be obvious from the previous replies.

I am setting up a fresh front-end install on an rpi3 using the setup instructions linked in the first reply in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1741

I seem to be having the same issues described in this thread. The setup prompts me for the country/language selection and then the database information. after the 2/2 screen, the setup simply drops out and goes back to country/language prompt.

I went to my backend system and reset my password so that I could guarantee that the database info was correct. Once I got all that working (and I have a kodi frontend successfully connecting) I came back to this mythfrontend setup again. I get the same behavior.

That leads me to believe that it is likely the ping permission issue, but when I type the commands listed in this thread, it seems to be correctly(?) set to: -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 38844 Feb 12 2014 /bin/ping

Is there something I should try to change these permissions to? am I barking up the wrong tree? The database is up and running for sure, as mythweb works and my other kodi client works as a test case.

Any help would be appreciated.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

Did you check the Raspberry Pi instructions here? Make sure you have followed everything in there.
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

If you keep getting the country and language prompt, then check the contents of $HOME/.mythtv/config.xml on the raspberry pi. If that file does not exist, then copy it from one of your other frontends. Check the database parameters in that file. You can also set PingHost to 0 in that file to prevent it from using ping.

The problem could be a connectivity issue from your frontend to the backend database. Is the database set up for remote connections? See https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythfrontend to set up bind address.
Manhole
Newcomer
United States of America

Post by Manhole »

The issue was the bind address stuff. Thanks!

now that I've gotten into the more detailed setup, there are definitely kinks to work out. I am getting stuttering, pixelation, and audio dropouts on live tv as well as recordings (which is particularly weird). I have gpu mem up over 400, the mpg2 license installed, and I followed the instructions to try the 2 different recommended audio setups (openmax and alsa). I also have tried open max high and normal profiles.

I've been using this rpi3 with libreelec and the mythTV plugin. It generally played recorded programs perfectly, and only started stuttering a month or two ago to the point where I had to try something else. I am next going to try to do the recommended database tweaks and maybe upgrade my backend to v28.1

Thanks again. I'll try to report back maybe in a different thread so I don't hijack this one now that my problem clearly wasn't segfaults.
pgbennett
Developer
United States of America

Post by pgbennett »

gpu mem should be between 128 and 256. If you set it to 400 there will likely not be enough ordinary memory left for MythTV to run properly.